Why is turning left on green soo tuff for CO drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is turning left on green soo tuff for CO drivers?

In PA, 5 cars get through between yellow and red. Here everyone loves to sit on the white line and wait for the arrow! What Gives? Short of honking (which seems to **** co drivers off more then most) nothing seems to encourage people to pull up and wait for a gap
(or the light to change).
To me this is an issue of respecting the fact that not everyone has all day to get where they are going. So what if you can get through from the line? If you pulled up a few lengths then so could a few of the people waiting behind your timid butt!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Perhaps because not many of them are originally from CO? ;)

But some people do take that too far..like when the light turned red many moons ago, and people are still making turns in front of you..not so good either...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen too many accidents from that behavior best left in PA and CA
Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. People run lights WAAAY too often. Including law enforcement.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If I am in the intersection and the light turns red where should I go?

Reverse?

It took me 3 light cycles to turn left (east) onto Mississippi from CO yesterday because everyone had to wait for the arrow (I had 3 cars in front of me!).

If running reds is such an issue then lets have jug handles and no left turns like NJ! LOL.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I moved out here from Philly

and the first thing i noticed is that the majority of drivers in CO are not nearly as aggressive in their driving as in the north east. That may be good or bad, depending on your driving preference. I would have to say Audiworld members probably don't fit that generalization, though. ;-)

My only complaint is that while CO drivers tend to not be aggressive drivers, they tend to be less aware of their surroundings. I drive much more defensively here than I did in Philly. People are much more aggressive in how they drive in Philly, but because of that, they also tend to be more aware of their surroundings.

Again, these are just generalities I've observed in Philly as compared to Denver. The only thing that I've noticed that sometimes aggravates me is when people out here don't creep up into the intersection to make that left turn on green. I'm not talking about running red lights or anything. I'm just talking about being further into the intersection so you don't get stuck at that light when you want to make that left turn.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default don't pull out till it is safe to go bla bla bla - don't you ever read the rules

Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i can't stand those jug handles that they do in NJ.

I understand the purpose with regards to traffic flow, but they can be confusing if you're in an unfamiliar area.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: don't pull out till it is safe to go bla bla bla - don't you ever read the rules

"STEADY GREEN LIGHT: You may proceed straight
through or turn right or left unless a sign prohibits such turns. However, you must yield to any vehicle or pedestrian within the intersection or adjacent crosswalk.

GREEN ARROW: A lighted green arrow, by itself or along with a red, green or yellow light means you may make the turn indicated by the arrow. If the green arrow goes off, but the circular green is on, you may still turn after yielding to through vehicles, unless prohibited by a sign or red arrow.

TURNING LEFT: You must yield to all oncoming traffic."

I am not asking anyone to t-bone a car, just want to know where the idea that yielding had to happen on the line? This also makes it easier to get though a gap in traffic.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really just would like people to think about turning w/o the arrow

Quick Reply: Why is turning left on green soo tuff for CO drivers?