RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

DRC & extended warrantly options

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRC & extended warrantly options

Hello All,

For those of you who have one or have done the research - Does anyone know if there is an extended warrantly that will cover the DRC system?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No, but maybe a class-action lawsuit would gain us more warranty time - I'm in!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Key question may be whether DRC is considered "shock absorber"

I've already discussed this somewhat with the FL administrator of Audi's extended warranty program. Guy said if DRC part of the shock, it's not covered; if not, there should be coverage. He had no definitive answer, tho, because there had been no DRC repairs under the extended warranty at the time I talked to him (maybe 9-12 months ago).
Old 11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never gonna happen....."no Victim".....'rich' cannot be victims.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Doesn't Audi extended warranty cover it? CPO?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Audi extended warranty excludes shocks, or at least mine does (per post below)
Old 11-24-2006, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Been all over this w/local dealer: all in how you claim the replacement part

The Audi extended warranty provider (in my case Fidelity) actually provides a service contract. My advice - call them and ask.

When I called them three times over a two week period, I was told each time that since the spring is mounted on the damper, they consider it a strut, which would be covered. One of them went so far as to 'look it up', and he said it was a strut in their replacement part catalog. However, the English translation of the German part name (translated from Japanese) shows up as 'shock' on one of the dealer computers, while the rubber mount is listed as a strut mount. Audi's own literature (technical specifications) lists the car as equipped with 'shock absorber struts'. Aftermarket parts catalogs list them as struts more often than not.

I had my dealer call the warranty provider to determine what would be what, as I didn't want to spend big $ on a contract that wouldn't cover DRC. After calling, he confirmed that DRC components, inc. the dampers, would be covered. So I bought it. When push comes to shove, however, we will know the real answer. I think the key is to make sure the repair bill does not say shock, and to remind the warranty claim agent that your car's strut has the spring mounted on it.

PS - there are several definitions of 'strut' and 'shock' around. A few identify a damper that does nothing but dampen, is a shock - if it does anthing else, like suspend a spring, locate or position the hub, etc, it is a strut. Others say that any damper that does not 'locate and define the movement of the suspension' is a shock. So a damper that acts in place of an upper control arm would be a strut. These definitions conflict, and hence the ambiguity - we all must be gluton's for ambiquity, as that's what Audi is best at...