RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Pristine pre-owned RS6, RS4, S6...which is "best"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pristine pre-owned RS6, RS4, S6...which is "best"?

"Best" in quotes because I realize this is subjective. Assume that stick vs. auto doesnt matter for the moment. Also assume that some back seat is needed, but not a huge consideration. Assume that these all have extended warranties.

I am finding that very low mileage RS6, RS4, and S6 are all within say $10-15k of each other in price now.

Just wondered if anyone else went through this thought process and some of the pros/cons beyond the obvious. Especially interested in those that have owned across these models. Performance is similar, all quattro...tough choice, for me anyway.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, the RS6 and RS4 are hi maintenance cars.. the S6 is more of a GT but more reliable..

yet the slowest of the 3..
The RS 6 has recurring faults that are costly and can make it undependable for long trips..
The RS4 was just named the 8th most expensive car to maintain..
for reliability and all the latest bells and whistles, the s6 is your choice..
but, if you need more excitement and are willing to pay, the RS4 is alotta fun..
If you need excitement, comfort, dont mind if you have recurring issues and are willing to pay, then its the RS6.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Newer S6 much more luxurious than RS6; RS4 handling & ride quality is better than RS6; however,

for brute torque, RS6 is definitely king (especially if you are willing to chip it - I have O.CT).

Personally, I'd go for the RS4 if I suffered from your dilemma (life's a b*tch, huh due to its handling characteristics and manual tranny.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Well, the RS6 and RS4 are hi maintenance cars.. the S6 is more of a GT but more reliable..

Recurring problems? I've never had any problem with my RS6.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:41 PM
SAF
AudiWorld Senior Member

Undependable for trips? Not here. Items needing attention never left me stranded.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you live above 5000 feet then the RS6 with twin turbos is the only way to go.

If you live a mile up like I do, the RS4 with 414HP at sea level gets what, like 320 at 5000 feet?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the opposite problem -- Dallas is like Mars

in the summer time... part of my concern with the RS6 is the months of April - Sept every year...how will the turbos do in constant 100+degrees during the summer
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am in albuquerque, NM with temps close to 100, this is my second RS6

and I have never had a problem with any turbo Audi cars I have owned. If you look at my signature line, you will see I have had many and have two currently. Turbos are not a problem. The DRC is the problem and transmission secondarily. Go for it. Just check the VIN number and service records carefully. As a comparison, I just bought an immaculate RS6 with $28K miles for $37K, no warranty but I bought one from Bruce.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The point being that if your DRC or tranny fails or even a CEL goes off while you are travelling, ..

if you are not near a major city that has an RS6 tech there, you will wind up having to tow it a looong way to one. My inlaws live in Oklahoma and we are in SoCal. If my DRC goes out again (it has done it 8 times now) or a tranny seal starts leaking while on the road there, I see hours of being stranded looking for an Audi dealer with an RS6 tech and then lotsa hassles and headaches trying to get it serviced..
Old 09-08-2008, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've driven across country several times and once with a faili ng tranny...it made it home before

giving up on life completely. I always have had enough warning. DRC failure has been slow so a wallowy ride I could stand knowing not to push it in turns where it gets dangerous.

Quick Reply: Pristine pre-owned RS6, RS4, S6...which is "best"?