RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

25,000 mile inspection findings

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 25,000 mile inspection findings

I complained about clunking in the front a few times this winter when it was extremely cold and they found no leaking shocks. However, they found that both upper links bushings were cracked. They used a boroscope to see them without taking the car apart.

I complained about the carbon fiber covers yellowing and they ordered new ones.

I asked for a brake pad measurement and they reported there was almost NO WEAR. 7mm front, 9-10mm rear. They wondered if I ever use the brakes. I guess that blows the common buzz that the RS4 brakes don't last long.

I didn't even bother to mention carbon issues because the car runs so damn good. I think you just have to use Tier 1 gas, run good oil (hint: NOT Castrol) and change it out every 3000 miles, and I also run Biosyn gas treatment with every tank.

They did the fuel pressure sensor recall and even had the part in-stock.

They gave me their RS4 dealer promo kit - leather swatches, trim samples, carbon fiber piece, aluminum piece, etc., carpet sample, dashboard sample, headliner sample, steering wheel leather, sample, 4"x4" color chips, official brochures, etc. Cool! Wonder what it will sell for on eBay?

Test drove a Q5. Great little car, growls like a sports car, shifts crisply, handles great, good scoot, very quiet on the highway. Unless something changes, I'll probably order one soon for Mrs. elevens.

I love Audis.

CHEERS

Last edited by ELEVENS; 04-30-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear, B-! As an early production car, it is amazing it's held that well DRC- and CB-wise!

I recon the extra 'love' that you got from your dealer is because your car is so exclusive in your area, and hence a lot more apprecitated when it infrequently visits the dealer. For better or for worse, here in the metro area dealers see them aplenty (and mostly for the stated problems!), so you will be lucky to have them give you even a complimentary car wash (which I always decline btw as I don't trust them!) As far as replacing the CF engine cover due to yellowing - the answer I got was the usual: "they all do it, it's normal..."

I recon your cracked bushings are from all the salt you see in the prolonged winters, so nothing abnormal.

As far as the DRC, have you lifted the car up on a jack yourself and inspected it to your satisfaction? When I had my 1st leak, dealer had done only 1 RS4 before (belonging to a NJ Devil's hockey player of all people!) and he really didn't have enough 'DRC hydraulic' fluid on his hands so to speak to be proficient. In fact he gave the car a full clean bill of health, only for me to see 1 day later the tragic state of my shocks... When I came back, I made the service mgr jack the car up in front of me and convince me that was normal! Needless to say, they apologized for missing the obvious...

Keep in mind that visible leakage on the shocks is NOT the only way DRC failure can veer its ugly head. if you heard clunking in the winter, that probably means that your hydr. fluid levels and/or pressure may be a bit below specs. With rising temps the fluid natuarlly expands and will mute the noise, so early mornings/winter is the best time to open an ear to sounds. Dunno, call me paranoid, it's only the 3rd set of DRC shocks I'm driving on...

As far as recalls, did you get a new BT module? For some reason, when I came in for my service dealer said all RS4s have this recall (came up under my VIN). They installed mine, but in typical for their 'craftsmanship' standards, never activated and I had to go back and lose 1/2 a day before they initialized it and any of my BT devices could work. Mine is an 08 model, so if there was a recall for 08s, it must have been the case for the 07s. However I never got the fuel pressure regulator - is that only for 07s?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a Q5 for my wife last weekend. White/Cardamom Premium Plus w/ Nav. Very nice...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I test drove the Q5 a few weeks ago and I liked it quite a bit, the sunroof was huge and the backup camera was nice, never used one before that.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

T: Yes I've checked for leaky shocks many times and they are bone dry. And my BT couldn't work any better, maybe the recall is an '08 thing? The car is indeed a bit of a curiosity being the only one sold around this boondoggle.

Ski35off: Good minds think alike - that is exactly the color combo I had in-mind.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
And my BT couldn't work any better, maybe the recall is an '08 thing?
I never had issues with my BT, hence I was startled to see it recalled. I was hoping it would eliminate the static sound that on occasion comes on when you place a call, but alas... Do you guys get that too?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you're talking about the bluetooth... yes. Half the time I make calls, there is static before the phone gives a dialing tone.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by grendelswr
If you're talking about the bluetooth... yes. Half the time I make calls, there is static before the phone gives a dialing tone.
I don't log in for 1 week and I already am in the dark..

Whats with the BT recall ? Whats the issue ? Yea, I have that annoying static, and that REALLY annoying SCREECH before my phone starts dialing (iphone). Scares the **** out of me sometimes.