RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

All Season RS4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by benonj
I had them balanced 3 times. The tire I returned to the tire rack was so out of round that you could physically see it when the tire was spun on the balancng machine, hence the free replacement. I had them mounted on some cheap ASA wheels that needed quite a bit of weight to balnce them so that might of been a factor. In general they were pretty poor and the vibration made me wonder why I was driving an RS4 and being made so miserable. My old Micheins Pilot Alpins on my S4 were a thousand times better, especially in the dry
Completely meaningless. I have driven on several dozens of different tires and have had my share of out of round tires and/or tires with shifted belts. All of them were of the more expensive and the more reputable variety. None were Dunlop's, however. Like with anything else, defects can happen everywhere. Just because you had a bad Dunlop, installed on a cheap wheel to boot, doesn't mean they are bad. And, for your tire person to blame this on Dunlop's only means that he lacks experience in the business.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You may be right

Originally Posted by benonj
I had them balanced 3 times. The tire I returned to the tire rack was so out of round that you could physically see it when the tire was spun on the balancng machine, hence the free replacement. I had them mounted on some cheap ASA wheels that needed quite a bit of weight to balnce them so that might of been a factor. In general they were pretty poor and the vibration made me wonder why I was driving an RS4 and being made so miserable. My old Micheins Pilot Alpins on my S4 were a thousand times better, especially in the dry
I may have just got my hands on a bad set of tires. I used ASA's as my S4 winter wheels and I had no problems. As for my garage, I do not put the blame on them. The guy who does my work has been doing this for 30 years and he uses the latest equipment. He does tend to be a little opinionated so that is where the "DunWop" comment came from. Maybe I did just get a bad set or pair because after the replacement, the car still did not drive well. I think my bias for Michelins remains intact though. Thanks for your feedback. I might try to find the other offending tire(s) and not bail on the whole set but...if someone wants to make me an offer on a set of Dunlops with only a few thousand miles on them I am all ears.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well normally the forum wouldn't allow For Sale posts but who in the heck would seriously consider buying these tires after that verbal beat down?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It was just a joke of course

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Well normally the forum wouldn't allow For Sale posts but who in the heck would seriously consider buying these tires after that verbal beat down?
AS you said, who would want to buy them now. That's what ebay is for.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Nobody has mentioned wheel size yet...

A very important point to consider is having a dedicated set of winter tires allows one to "down size" to 18" wheels. This allows a higher profile tire which is always better for winter conditions.

I am assuming 18" rims will clear the massive brakes, as TireRack provides this as an option:

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterP...7&autoModClar=
Old 05-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Almost forgot to mention, the smaller size (if you consider 18" small!) will also enable more tire choices and reduce cost. 19" snow tires are very expensive and hard to come by in low profiles for European sedans.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes I saw that

Originally Posted by sdriver
Almost forgot to mention, the smaller size (if you consider 18" small!) will also enable more tire choices and reduce cost. 19" snow tires are very expensive and hard to come by in low profiles for European sedans.
Tire rack lists 18" as an option but I was told elsewhere that 18's will not clear the brakes. Does anyone know the real answer?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure, 18" is the way to go in the winter for many reasons!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that looks good...
euro oem 18's?
or Hartmann reps with spacers?
either way, nice set-up

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Sure, 18" is the way to go in the winter for many reasons!