RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Buying my dream car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my dream car!!!!

RS4 has been my dream car since the day I saw it in '07. Now that I've been in the working world for a few years I'm finally in the market for one.
Yesterday I test-drove two CPO'd '08s and it was better than I ever imagined. I also test drove an '11 s4 and it definately solidified that I'm making the right decision.
My original budget was no more than $40k, but I would like some advice from you current owners if it's worth it to spend the extra money and go CPO? I drive about 25,000 miles a year, but all highway and I want to keep the car FOREVER (atleast I say that now) so the miles don't scare me.
My 3 options with about 50k miles are:
Be patient and get one off Manheim for about $35k (I know a dealer)?
Buy private for closer to $40k?
Buy CPO for $45k?

Thanks in advance for the help! I can't wait to own my DREAM CAR!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Personally, I like the peace of mind that came with the CPO. I did have a few minor issues here and there over the past couple of years that were covered under the CPO warranty, so I think I made the right decision.

Congrats on getting your dream car. I got mine almost two years ago and I still look forward to driving it each and every day. That "new car excitement" has never really worn off.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hate having my car under CPO but I think that's moreso related to my sorry local dealers than the warranty itself. Audi seems to always either screwup repairs or try to find a way out of covering repairs, and it would be so much easier if I had an aftermarket warranty and could go anywhere. Other performance shops, from what I've seen so far, tend to charge about 50% of what Audi charges for labor. For example an Audi carbon clean is $1,600 whereas a performance shop about $900. Basically the same price difference for clutch jobs. Audi charged me about $500 in labor just to change plugs, cabin filter, and fuel filter. After market shop would be about half that. I actually checked out a couple at Manheim as well but the 2 that came up when I was looking both had accident records. The second party warranty's are about $3500 so the Manheim option seems attractive aside from the fact that you can't have an inspection done on the car beforehand. Which was another big turnoff. You may be able to track down the service record if you can find the servicing dealer on carfax.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree with Gibson. Audi dealers will take you to the cleaners. Carbon clean (suspect job) at an Audi dealer is 1543.56. NGP in Lorton Va is 800.00. The RS4 is a great engine!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Aftermarket warranties are great...Mine is thru "The Warranty Group" and it was about $3500 w/a $50 deductible that I can use anywhere! So far they have taken care of a low oil sensor under warranty. For my wife's car they took care of a whole new Turbo, oil gaskets, and suspension on a BMW 335i. You will love the RS4!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

The 3rd party Warranty through Audi kind of sucks. It says it covers control arms, piston rings, synchros and a million other things, but you have to read the fine print where it says "only covers mechanical breakage not wear and tear". If your piston rings explode, they cover it. Same goes for Syncros, shocks, valve seals, gears, bearings, rear end, ect. But...if it "wears out" then its not covered. Piston rings wear out, they don't explode. Syncros wear out, rear ends and gears wear out and rarely just self destruct. Personally I see this as an easy way for them to get out of just about any repair, so I wouldn't trust it. I have zero experience with warranties since I always buy old used cars (until now I guess), but in my 12 years of driving experience I have never once had any of my cars have a "mechanical breakage" (I've never owned anything newer than 5 years old with less than 70k miles, had a Honda and Lexus both with over 200k miles). Maybe I just do an awesome job of finding super reliable old cars, but more likely is the fact that most cars don't generally "Break" they "Wear Out" (I'm surprised the warranty covered the turbo, as the bearings usually "wear out", not break). Just clarify what is and is not covered, and if they have a "wear and tear" clause, I would just put the extra $5k in an interest account and wait until you need it. I guarantee that $5k can be used towards any type of repair you'll need, it's cancellable, and it's transferable to the new owner if you wish

If the car has made it through 50k miles, then most likely the random bugs have been worked out and any major issues would have already been discovered anyway. Just make sure everything feels nice and tight, it's not smoking or using oil, and get the service history...RS4's rock...you'll love it! Buy from the acutal owner if you can, they will know the history of the car and you can usually tell if they are bull****ting once you start asking them tons of questions (like where they got it serviced, what issues they have had, carbon clean performed, DRC recall, ect...if they don't know what a carbon clean is or what type of oil was used I would walk away...I can't stand buying things from people who don't know **** about whatever it is they are selling). Steelerships never now **** about the true history of the car and are only interested in maximizing revenue, but that doesn't mean you can't still find a good car there, just have to be more careful in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Which car?

So ive been talking with two dealers and have found two equally prestine single owner cars. Which would you prefer?

2008 red w/ black interior, 47k miles, cpo warranty through 10/2014. If i go this rout im thinking of taking out a 72 month loan for $5k more and offering $45k.

2007 black w/ silver interior, 57k miles, cpo warranty through 11/2012. I already am approved for a 60 month loan in this price range and would offer $41k.

Both color combinations are equally beautiful but im leaning towards the flashy red which was one of the last rs4s sold in '08 (compared to the black which was sold in 11/2006). Should i negotiate ina carbon clean? Or just use that to get my price and get it done for half the price myself?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

It'd be great if they'd throw in a cc, but I highly doubt it. That'd probably be what you'd get and no drop in price so you'd prob be better off just getting he lowest price you can. In terms of just looking at purely the numbers, the 08 is the better deal. The warranty on the 07 ends so soon that it's almost worthless. It took me about that long to even know the car well enough to figure out when things were wrong. If the mileage were even it'd prob be a coin toss since the difference would pay for a warranty. If you pass on the red you'll probably always regret the choice if that's the color you really want anyway, so just go for the car you want. $45k is the higher end for that mileage so stick to your guns.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah and even if they did "throw in a carbon clean" it would probably be a faux carbon clean where they pour some BG44k in the tank(or even into the injectors) and think they gave you a true carbon clean (by removing the intake manifold and cleaning by hand).

I am also partial to the Misano Red. But I also like saving money. Ask them to break out the actual price of the car vs. the warranty so you can see what you're actually paying for the car. Try and negotiate the red one down to say $43k and maybe you'll have a win-win. Good luck and keep us posted!