RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Front Brake Pads-

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kringle
Looking forward to hearing about it! My next track date is about the 24th so I have to decide pretty soon if I am to get a new set by then. I just ordered up some Hotchkis antiroll bars so it will be an interesting day.
Picked-up my car with the new front pads installed (StopTech Street Performance) on the stock rotors with 23,xxx miles. Drove the car ~65 miles to work and as I got closer to my destination, I noticed the stopping power improved tremendously. The brakes now feel very much like Porsche big brakes which is what I am mostly familiar with. At this point, I can safely say that these pads outperform the OEM pads I had (made by Pagid) by a wide margin and they are quiet. No noises that I could hear. Stay tuned for more feedback as I put more miles on them.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kringle
Solflower- thanks for the advice. I'll call on Carbotech if I go with that setup. Always good to know who to call on for advice. Did you keep the XP 8's on full time? (rear) I had xp10 on front and 8 on rear. I don't really know which made the noise but I thought it was both, however now I doubt that, it was prob the fronts.
I was thinking of keeping the stock pad on the rear which did Ok on the last track day and the change is a bit troublesome. Do you need a special tool to do the rear pads?

Elevens- thanks for the wear info, I'll check the rotors before the next track day.
Yup XP10 front XP8 Rear for the track and Bobcat front XP8 rear for the street. I get a little bit of squeak from the 8s on the street but its not too bad. The XP10s are CRAZY loud, but thats probably because there are 8 of them workin hard.

And yes, you do need a special tool to reset the rear caliper because of the e-brake

good luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got my Centric Posi-Quiet's in and putting them on tomorrow. Has anyone done the "bedding-in" technique listed on the zeckhausen page? And if so, did it help at all?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DaytonaRS4
I wanted to find out how much your dealers have charged for front pads?
dealer said $740 installed ?
is this good
Car only has 23k miles and was never tracked and not driven hard?

Sound right
I paid $1200 front pads and rotors
Old 08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stealership said they had to grind some metal on the Centric pads to get them installed correctly. Make any sense at all? I haven't seen anything on the forum except that they are easy to put in. Anyone deal with the Monterey, CA Audi? Anything better around NorCal?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think what I'll do is buy the XP 10's for the front and use the stock pads for street until they reach 50% wear then change to the bobcats.
For the rear I thought to stay with the stock rear pads till they wear out. They were fine last track day and they don't get over worked.

Does anyone know if the rear pads have the same problem with rivets that score the rotor?

I decided against the Stop Tech performance pads because on the Stop Tech site they were rated as being harder on the rotor than their other offerings. With only 1mm of wear allowable per (expensive) rotor my preference will be a softer pad to save the rotor. I'll change for track days since it's easy and keep a street pad on the rest of the time.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4_Gator
Stealership said they had to grind some metal on the Centric pads to get them installed correctly. Make any sense at all? I haven't seen anything on the forum except that they are easy to put in. Anyone deal with the Monterey, CA Audi? Anything better around NorCal?
Mine popped right in. So long as they ground the pad metal to fit the caliper, no problem. Don't know why they would have to do that though, unless the caliper or the pad was out of spec. Anyway, how do you like the Centrics?