RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

H-Sport rear sway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-Sport rear sway...

I know many people have put the H-Sport rear sway only on the RS4 to stiffen the rear, and don't couple with the front to reduce understeer. I was getting ready to order on, but saw on the website that it says:

The 22832R is designed for track use and must be used with a Hotchkis front sway bar. A front and rear sway bar package is also available, kit # 22832.

Why is it saying here it must be used with a front H-Sport? is this valid or is it just salesmanship and warranty dodging?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's my thoughts on sway bars:

I plan to go both front and rear to keep the proper balance of the car intact. The whole point of the sway bar is to reduce body roll and keep the tire contact patch as large as possible with the road.

Just adding a large rear sway bar and setting it aggressively to combat under steer will create snap over steer in certain cases. I played with this on my Evo on several track days, and was not able to corner as fast with the rear sway bar set aggressively verses closer to a stock level.

In some cases like my Subaru, matching a stiffer front sway bar with a rear will actually help front traction and reduce under steer because the front tires now have more traction.

Nothing can really solve having a front heavy car that has a tendency to under steer other than changing the weight balance.

my .02 cents
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with both front and rear and have been pretty happy with that decision
Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I got both but eventually put the front stock bar back on.

Having just the rear bar does not make the car unsafe. With both H-sport bars, the body roll is definitely less, but the car still exhibits noticeable understeer IMO. With just the rear bar (I have it on the "soft" setting), the balance of the car is much better than stock - which is the point.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Could you do both, go aggressive on rear, soft front?

Would this stiffen the entire car up and reduce the understeer? Just curious. I am leaning to your setup silverRS4, it is really what I am looking for, not a full track setup. Would like to get this done in the next month, and then when my 10k comes along about June, re-evaluate the suspension with Audi. If it is still fine I will keep it as is, but if it is leaking, will be taking a hard look at the MS setup at that time.

BTW I am getting clunks from the front left on speed bumps going even fairly slow. It seems to me the return speed of the struts is slower than the drop of the car. What I mean is the compression phase takes place but when the car drops back to its original level, the struts don't rebound in time. Does that sound like what some of you others are experiencing with the clunks?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Front sway bar is not adjustable whether stock or H-Sport. If you go with the STaSIS MS kit...

Go with the full H-Sport set up.

The difference in spring rate fore and aft with the MS kit will help he understeer problem.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I run the same setup. Stock front bar, H-sport soft rear bar.

Balance and rotation are noticably improved.