RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

K&N for the RS4? Yup. 33-2209

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Filtering study

No doubt.

I guess I spent most of the time arguing over whether a bigger air filter is better.

You don't see any OEM or aftermarket designing bigger and bigger filters. Instead they are improving on the filtering capabilities thru design and materials used.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor

Default K&N estimates? lol, that's rich!

What are you advertising anyways? I wouldn't want to buy anything from anyone who thinks putting a K&N filter on a 75k car is a good idea, let alone a "cold air intake."

I mean looking at your previous cars it looks like you have a lot experience modifying them, I would think you would know K&N's are garbage by now?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Default RI RS4, you know...

if these foam/oil or gauze type air filters were 'hands down' better than traditional paper/fiber element filters, the car mfgrs would have gone to them a long time ago.

I'll trust to the car mfgr and OEM engineers over the aftermarket guys, whose very survival relies on nominal performance enhancing claims thru funky designs.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow....lemme see your resume!

With all due respect...

As noted in my post, I've seen good results for K&N filters in power levels with no failures ever.

I think my list of cars and my 22 years' experience sold me on the product.

If it's not for you, great. But for you to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about with my background without posting data (let alone your background) is laughable.

You're right dude....internal combustions as found in Audis cannot benefit from increased airflow. Despite this principle being proven in every form of motorsports known to man, you're right and they're wrong.

Wow...a 50-post long debate on whether or not the tried-and-true principles and dynamics of internal combustion engines somehow don't apply to a $70K car....amazing.

Forgive me for not taking your post seriously, in the absence of links to data to the contrary or without you posting your direct experience rather than your "opinion."

Frankly, I don't care if anyone does this mod or not...it's not like I'm making a nickel from it.

If anyone has a proble,m with K&N, may I suggest they email them directly?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dave, I'm just presenting information

Personally, I think the increase in airflow is marginal at best for a street vehicle. I'll opt for better filtering over better air flow any day.

If I were an automotive engineer, I would probably make the same conclusion, to opt for better filtering over air flow.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Never had issues with my Audis with K&Ns..but I did have an issue

with another competitor that I "believe" to be MAF related. No telling if that is actually the case. My K&N cone filter on my Spec Miata race car works well...
Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Default I know you are...

this subject being worked like it was, it's good to get back to that basic idea.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 AM

Default It's very debatable...

You are only going to convince a very small minority. 5 hp addtl on an RS4 with a K&N steup, and it's potential downside...well, at the very least frequent cleaning or it actually becomes less efficient at air flow than stock peper filter...well, what's the point?

Now, putting one on $20k POS, to get maybe 10 HP more on a 120 hp engine, okay...maybe...and that's where K&N sells, as far as I remember.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Valid points...

Another words, when a person says that in their estimation and based on their experiences, there is enough in question to prevent them from considering the modification, I completely understand.

My issue is that some individuals were categorically claiming that my real world experiences were not valid and appeared to be questioning my credentials. With that, I must take issue.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

Default no, I was trying to say with your experience you would know that...

some drop in filter is BS and doesn't flow any better than the OEM paper one.

Quick Reply: K&N for the RS4? Yup. 33-2209