RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

need some action around here...poll: who makes the better car, Audi or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some action around here...poll: who makes the better car, Audi or BMW?

now try and be somewhat objective. i will start things off by saying:

Audi strengths:
AWD, innovation(Quattro, direct injection, DSG), suspensions, fit and finish, paint, quality pieces, interior design and materials, and exterior styling(at least for the moment).

BMW strengths:
engineering, engines, transmissions, sportiness, devotion to engineering ideals.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if we're talking better OVERALL at the same price, Audi.

the best comparison I made was the E46 M3 vs. the B7S4, which were about the same price in 2005. After driving both cars back-to-back, I felt the S4 was a much, much better car. we're talking daily driven street car here, track performance isn't applicable.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It depends entirely on your personal priorities, and there is no absolute.

For every strength, there will be detractors.

For example, you say BMW builds good engines: My FIL has gone through several heads in his E39 (apparently a common enough problem), early modern V8 cars had issues with high fuel sulphur content dissolving the cylinder liners, the E36 M3 engines had bearing issues early on, C&D's 4 season E92 got an engine replacement, the early twin turbo inline 6 was lacking an oil cooler, which caused the engine to go into limp mode when driven hard, etc.

I'm sure a similar number of complaints can be levied at Audi - or perhaps even more, given the very high number of engineers who are drawn to purchase the brand;-)
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi
Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dollar for dollar, the cars are dead equal. BMW wins hands down in dealers and service.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E36 or do you mean E46 M3 engines?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Default not considering reliability issues

but just what you get from each mfgr, how each stacks up against each other.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM

all engines
Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oy Vey..... this is a difficult one to answer...

BMW is making the better car right now... but Audi is still my favorite. I wish there was an Audi out there that made sense for me to buy right now... but there really isn't. BMW has a winning combo with great to drive cars that lease out extremely well. Audi interiors may look and feel nicer, but for some reason I can never find as comfortable driving positions as I can in a BMW. BMW has a very very strong 2008 lineup.

With that said, by 2010 I expect Audi to really bring everything to a new level. The new A4 and A8 should be really big hits, and models like the A7 should spice up the lineup as well. Can't wait!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Default i hear what you're saying, Bob..

i would agree with you that Audi offers better value overall...what you get for the money.

this is more a question of which car mfgr is ahead of the other in design. which one, all things being equal, a person would really rather have...across models.

the beaten to death AWD question should not come into play here, even though acknowledged as an Audi strength. just talking about the cars. who makes the better product overall.

personally, i would lean towards BMW for a few reasons, but seeing the latest BMW's up close, i am surprised at the poor quality paint and the sloppy fit and finish. it seems that while they still make fine machines and are dedicated to the engineering of their cars, the quality appearance has gone by the wayside somewhere along the line.

i have family members with several BMW's and can speak first hand.

would you agree that VW affiliation hinders Audi brand perception?

Quick Reply: need some action around here...poll: who makes the better car, Audi or BMW?