RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Ripped off in Canada? Canadian RS4 owners should read this National Post article.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripped off in Canada? Canadian RS4 owners should read this National Post article.

They sum it up in the last paragraph. "At the end of the day, they artificially enhanced the price of cars. At this point that is something that is almost factually undeniable."

There is also an article in the Globe and Mail where they say that Porsche has promised to lower the price of their 2008 models by 10%, but that BMW has yet to follow suit. They didn't mention Audi's plans.

Now that the dollar is at parity, you would have to be stupid to buy a new RS4 in Canada. Even though the exchange rate was 0.87 when I bought mine in Dec. 2006, I was still resentful that there was such a big price difference between Canada and the United States. Even after factoring in exchange rate, G.S.T., and duty.

At that time I had briefly researched importing an RS4 from the States. The RS4 was included in Transport Canada's list of vehicles admissable from the United States, but there was an exception that it would require modifications to the existing bumpers (likely having to substitute Canadian parts for the U.S. parts). You can find the link to this document www.riv.ca

I had difficulty finding out what this modification might entail, whether cheap or expensive (as in a cosmetic vs a structural difference), so I gave up on the idea.

Now with the dollar at parity, the debacle over "price enhancing", and increased awareness that cars are a lot cheaper in the States; Canadian RS4 owners are going to take a bigger hit if they decide to trade or sell their car (especially if Audi decides to lower their prices to follow Porsche).<ul><li><a href="http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=d6db47d3-ab3b-4e0b-bfe8-9c076c593bc2&amp;k=57065">http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=d6db47d3-ab3b-4e0b-bfe8-9c076c593bc2&amp;k=57065</a</li><
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Actually I would think the Canadian dollar vs the Euro would be the currency

that was important.

Hint Audis are not made in the US

Also most of the cost differences are the taxes to support the pot head
Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Actually I would think the Canadian dollar vs the Euro would be the currency

That's perverse logic Reggie. The fact that the cars are NOT made in the U.S. should mean that the price that Audi Canada and Audi U.S.A. pay to import the cars should be roughly the same after you factor in the exchange rate. It shouldn't make any difference whether they were made in Europe or the States. After all, does the U.S.A. have a free trade agreement with Europe?

And, as I already mentioned, even after you include the ridiculous Canadian taxes (to help support the resident terrorists and layabouts on social assistance), there is still a significant price difference.

The list price of an RS4 with premium package in Canada is still $100,500 (not including the fu***ing 6% GST). You can get the same car in the States for about $75,000 (before local taxes of course). Right or wrong? Remember, we are at parity now.

$100,000 Canadian/U.S. would buy you a lot more car in the States, I think. The bottom line is that we are being gouged in Canada, and not just by the Tax man.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default The cost to mfr the cars is all in the german dollars. (aka euros)

The car is then sent to Canada (probably through US shores but I doubt that no taxes or costs are added to the car there except for transportation) hence the euro vs canadian dollars.

I worked for HP making products - and all our costs were done in dollars - even though most of my manufacturing was in South East Asia - this was because HP is a US company. Audi is a German company - hence euro