RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Owner - M3 Sedan Feedback - Previous Drivers of both Only

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Owner - M3 Sedan Feedback - Previous Drivers of both Only

I currently own a 2007 RS4 - love it. I have owned many Audi's and a Cayman S - I have a sickness I believe. Curious of the thoughts others may have of the M3, those that have test driven an M3 Sedan - especially post break in. I really love Quattro and the way the RS4 performs. I am surprised of the comparisons of the M3 lately - the way it handles, and how it has improvements that we all look for over the RS4 - lateral/lower positioned supportive seats, cabin gadgets, overall more sporty look, etc. There have been a couple of posts on various sites, but they don't seem to have updates. I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on an Audi friendly "unbiased" site. What are your thoughts? Would you consider the M3 Sedan a successor to the RS4?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Successor? No. Different cars.

I think that a lot of us didn't buy the RS4 simply because it makes 420hp. The M3 and RS4 similarities stop at the power and engine type.

The RS4 far more stealth than the M3, and doesn't conjure up bad BMW stereotypes. And the RS4 is AWD. I live in socal, but I still love having AWD. For some of us, 4 doors are important too.

The new M3 excels at all the things M3's were always known for, just with more juice now.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This comparison always comes up. Here's what I always say....

The M3 is closer to a race car. On a dry track in the hands of a professional driver, the M3 is the superior performance tool. However, in the hands of the 99.9% of the rest of us, even reasonably skilled drivers, the RS4 can be driven harder with a far greater degree of safety and control than the M3. Throw rain or snow into the mix and the RS4 will dominate.

Styling is a subjective thing. I like the looks of the M3 sedan almost as much as my RS4. I don't like the looks of the coupe as much. Likewise, the interior styling is all a matter of opinion, although Audi interiors are generally regarded as the best in the industry.

In conclusion, if it is important for you to have the car with the ultimate performance capability in perfect driving conditions, driver notwithstanding, get the M3. If you want the car that will most likely give YOU a higher performance capability, get the RS4. In the end, we are splitting hairs, however. Both these cars kick ***.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Successor? No. Different cars.

<< For some of us, 4 doors are important too. >>

The new M3 is available as a 4 door sedan too.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Default Re: This comparison always comes up. Here's what I always say....

I too like the look of the new M3 4 door better than the coupe, although both are nice.

As far as interior, it doesn't even come close to Audi, right on down to the plastic(not aluminum) pedal surfaces. That's pretty damn weak for that car. Not to mention std cloth seats!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, it would depend on whether I could drive it in the snow. Rs4 wins hands down.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default More thoughts

Went by the dealership today, sat in an M3. Its not that much lower. Maybe its my OCD on the next new thing. I can remember driving the Cayman, while a great car, I really missed my S4 - hence now the RS4. The RS4 capability is just freakn amazing. I still get exciting driving it, but still curious of the M3 - its perceived as more of a true sports car feel. Maybe I just need to get Ohlins and hold on. My fiance has a 335 sedan, that where all this started, the steering is wonderful.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Current M3 sedan owner chiming in (long comparo)...

Obviously not unbiased here, but I own a 2008 M3 sedan and have driven an RS4 (and am a huge fan, which is why I still enjoy this forum). To your question, I think the M3 may be the only thing out there that could be seen as a spiritual successor to the RS4.

On the surface the M3 has that similar stealth appeal, in that it's a muscular version of the base sedan body, but not too extroverted. I think the RS4 is the more handsome car, while the M3 might be edgier. On the interior and luxo features point, while the Audi now seems pretty outdated in comparison to the M's clean layout and modern overall feel, I think the M has a lot of quasi-unnecessary convenience features (e.g. programmable vent distribution in the climate control?) that I'm hoping don't crap out in a year.

From an overall driving experience perspective, there are some similarities and some notable differences. The biggest seat-of-the-pants distinction is in the overall feeling of weight. Although there's very little separating the two by curb weight, the RS4 just *feels* heavy, where the M3 feels lighter, and more agile and balanced in the twisties. This is likely driven by weight distribution (M3 at 50/50 F/R vs. RS4 at 58/42). I get the sense that much of the engineering achievement with the RS4 is just in making it feel like it's not quite as nose-heavy as it really is.

On the mechanical side, these are both sweet, ripping V8s. The Audi is smooth and refined, while the BMW is angrier and more immediate in its power delivery. Both engines give you goosebumps above 5K RPMs, but the Audi has more usable torque down low, while the M3 favors brute power and lightning throttle response up higher.

As far as chassis setup goes, the M3's steering offers greater transparency (probably because it's not attached to drive wheels), and the adjustable suspension setup is a thing of beauty: Total control over body movement but somehow still supple and refined.

I wanted to address the sentiment I've seen several times that the RS is somehow easier to drive or extract performance from. I'm not so sure this is true, in that the M3 provides a very approachable and balanced overall package that tells you exactly what it's doing at all times. It's quite a bit less isolated than the RS, which allows you to sense its limits a little better. And the level of grip is spectacular, even in the wet (I live in New England and get frequent opportunities to hammer it on wet roads). Obviously the RS will slaughter the M in the snow, but that's a cliched, one-dimensional comparison.

So I'd say that the new M3 sedan is definitely a worthy successor, and in a many ways a nice step up from the outgoing RS4. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you're already thinking about what's next. And hey, it's $10K cheaper and includes free maintenance! Who can complain about that?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:57 AM

Default M3 Manual Transmission is a disappointment...but

the new dual clutch DCT transmission is a revelation...

The M3 manual transmission pales in comparison to the RS4 - RS4 has closer ratios, shorter throws, notchier feeling, inspires more confidence on fast changes and the clutch in the M3 is too soft...

The interior of the M3 is more modern and sophisticated but it is all a little bland and clinical. The RS4 interior is special, even if it is a couple of years out of date.

I do prefer the RS4 steering wheel (mine is Euro spec) and love the RS4 seats (again Euro spec bucket seats).

However, the DCT is a phenomenal transmission and sad to say does elevate the M3 above the RS4 IMO caterogically in both the performance and fun categories...