RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 or WRX Sti? Coming from an E46 M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not many people are talking about the CPO option. I'd be very surprised if "their cost" was actually what they said it was and I was able to get them to include it for a few hundred over the price of the car we agreed on . And with how much they talked it up I'll definitely be bringing it in when the carbon buildup causes a CEL.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow 2 GREAT write ups of the RS4! It is very hard to explain or quantify how much we love our RS4's. It's one of those things you have to "feel", as others have said. When I got into a stock B8 S4. I felt it lacked soul. And although you can modify those cars to be as "quick" as the RS4, that still doesn't give it a SOUL(and you still need $2k minimum brake job upgrade to make it track ready)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kringle
PS. If you think it sounded great just add the ECS H pipe and it will knock your socks off. Easily passes the wife test with S button off. Mine didn't notice. With the S button on and the mufflers open it sounds electric.
Seen some videos with the H pipe and am unsure if I want it. Seems like it makes the exhaust really raspy. Is this just the videos or is it like this in real life?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch73
Seen some videos with the H pipe and am unsure if I want it. Seems like it makes the exhaust really raspy. Is this just the videos or is it like this in real life?
No, not by the wildest stretch of imagination, not even close. It's more volume with no drone and certainly no raspiness. Seriously, you really can't expect meaningful sound reproduction of exhaust sounds when the "recording equipment" used is almost always a hideously cheap cell phone or video cam, compressed almost beyond recognition, then reproduced on a computer's "audio equipment" which probably cost the manufacturer under 2 bucks for parts. The variability of equipment, environment and setting alone nullifies any comparisons.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 12-27-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ginch73
No raspiness at all. I did not want a loud exhaust or boominess. Took me 6 months to decide but in the end I thought it's not that expensive and is easily reversible so why not try it. I still have it two years later. The YouTube videos are not very helpful compared to the real life sound. The only time it's marginally loud is when RPM is between 1200-1700 rpm on light load. Like I said, here it borders on loud but doesn't cross the line. The sound is deep, baritone like. Enough that it's not stock but not unpleasant.
Hope that helps,
K
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kringle has it right about The Test of Time. I've had my H-pipe on for 6 years! Considering my old car had 4 different exhausts in 8 years, well, that should be enough evidence.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverflake
I wouldn't go that far. I would say green apples and red apples. Yes, the level of luxury is mot the same. The RS4 also sells for 106,000 CAD while an STI is 43,000 CAD.

However both have near identical 0-60, 1/4 mile and fuel efficiency. Both have performance AWD and 6 speed manuals. Both have similar handling performance. Both 4 door etc.

An RS4 and a Z06 are apples and oranges. An RS4 and a Lotus Elise are too.

Stong, I went to see the RS tonight after work but it was too late for a test drive. I got to sit in the car and fire it up and here are my initial impressions.

- exterior
I think the B7 RS4 is the best looking sedan in the world. And seeing it in person confirmed it. I love the combination of classy practical low-key family car look combined with aggressive don't mess with me I'm FAST. Favorite style cues were the headlights (Audi makes the best headlights ever RS4 mad R8 at the top of the list). And I loved the wide body stance and fenders. I think in comparison a S4 or A4 look ugly and boring without the wide body.

- interior
Dash and centre console looks great and upscale. Steering wheel felt great if a LOT lighter compared to my E46 M3.
Buttons on centre console looked a bit cheap however. Like they would almost get stuck and I had to hit the fan control several times to get it going.
Leather looked worn for a 70000 km car (my M is 5 years older same km and is in better shape)

- engine
It was like -7c and engine wasn't warmed up so I didn't rev it past 2500 rpm but my prejudice about V8 engine sound was killed. I always thought based on YouTube videos that V8s don't sound good on well insulated German cars, but was wrong. That V8 sounded fantastic at part throttle low rpm. I am curious to how it will sound at full throttle high rpm.

I am gonna test drive it on Friday. Will keep you guys updated and let you know my impressions after the test drive.
So - you've driven an RS and you're still undecided? It's not looking good boys!!

Look - these cars are similar in nature, but the exclusivity and downright rarity you get with the RS takes it over the top IMO. For every RS you see, you've already seen 5 STI's. If your opinion is that they're that similar of a car, then why not go for the one that is more rare?

Finally - your talking points about living in Canada and how AWD is a way of life...Audi has mastered that niche. They created that niche. They are that niche. You can't go wrong with an Audi in bad driving conditions. There simply isn't another competitor.

30 days later from the OP - New Year's gift?!!?!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Honestly, I'm simply in the process of narrowing down my "must haves" and needs.
It took me a year and a half of research to narrow it down to my M3 and based on ownership I hit the mark on 80%. The rest I found out unfortunately through ownership.

Key factor that I neglected was winter performance. I thought based on what people had told me and research that RWD with great winter tires would do fine on snow and ice.
Yes, winter tires make a difference, but AWD makes more of a difference. It's essential for sense of confidence.

I also knew that I preferred 6_speed manuals but the deal on the car was too good to give it up for the tranny. After all the CSL came only on SMG and the world's 5 th fastest production car is still a Supercharged E46 M3 CSL.

So even though I Leo like the SMG I want to go back to 6-speed manual and never get a slush box ever again no matter how quickly o may shift.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverflake
Honestly, I'm simply in the process of narrowing down my "must haves" and needs.
It took me a year and a half of research to narrow it down to my M3 and based on ownership I hit the mark on 80%. The rest I found out unfortunately through ownership.

Key factor that I neglected was winter performance. I thought based on what people had told me and research that RWD with great winter tires would do fine on snow and ice.
Yes, winter tires make a difference, but AWD makes more of a difference. It's essential for sense of confidence.

I also knew that I preferred 6_speed manuals but the deal on the car was too good to give it up for the tranny. After all the CSL came only on SMG and the world's 5 th fastest production car is still a Supercharged E46 M3 CSL.

So even though I Leo like the SMG I want to go back to 6-speed manual and never get a slush box ever again no matter how quickly o may shift.
SilverF-
Looking from afar it appears both cars meet your fundamental "requirements". At some point emotion needs to factor in the process. Which car fits your personality? Which car do you want to be seen in? What car makes your blood boil at there mere sight? What car makes you just want to crack a beer and hang out and stare at it as a proud owner? Which car makes you want to wash and wax it?
The performance etc. speak for themselves for each car. How much weight do you put on the all so important intangibles that make long term ownership pleasurable? Which choice is more then just a transaction?
Kinda like women: which one do you want just for the night and which one would you bring home to meet your mother? Assuming you can't have both! LOL

Last edited by zero2sixty; 01-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you see the episode of Top Gear where they tested the new Sub and Evo? It was the episode where the RS6 raced the skiers down-hill.

They tore the sub apart. The evo was better all around according to the show. I have personally only been in the cars and have never driven either but when all three of those guys beat up on a car its probably for good reason.

Quick Reply: RS4 or WRX Sti? Coming from an E46 M3