RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

STaSIS/Ohlins Signature Line follow-up review (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STaSIS/Ohlins Signature Line follow-up review (long)

Well I have 1,200 miles on the STaSIS/Ohlins SL suspension. I am running the stock roll bars and STaSIS recommends staying with these for this suspension set up. The spring rates are 750/1100 according to Avalon Motorsports, the local STaSIS dealer here in Denver, they are Eibach springs.

I had the stock suspension on for 28K and no leaks and no issues with the OEM DRC setup.

I am running snows now and it has been cold so no track time and no AutoX's so far but overall I really like this setup. The front suspension has no external reservoirs so the install is a bit easier, and these are not adjustable as far as I know. he ride height is adjustable and the car is sitting lower than stock, I will post some more pic's tomorrow after I wash this car.

The ride is almost stock, but a bit firmer. The handling is much more crisp, the turn-in is faster and the roll is much reduced as is any dive in hard braking. I bedded some pads last week so I have some harsh 60-0, 80-0 and 100-0 stops, the rear end wiggle is gone on the 100-0 stops BTW :-) feels more stable. The car feels far more connected to the road.

I live up a canyon in the foothills of Denver, a nice place to unwind after a day at the office or to get rev'ed up on the way to work. The car is much more connected to the road, it inspires more confidence in the corners, is very neutral and easy to push really hard. I have not pushed it to the point of breakaway at the rear end due to the snow's and the sand on the road but gone is the hard front push the car had before.

Crisp and direct are the best adjectives for this setup, I love it and can't wait for the auto-cross season this year.

The only drawback is it does transmit the big potholes to the cabin much more than the stock setup, but then again we should be avoiding those things in the first place!

I have not ridden in a MS set up although a few have them here in Denver, it would be fun to do and A/B comparison in the canyon this spring...

Let me know if you have questions happy to answer if I can.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the follow up!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Default thanks for the info; what to you think about the StaSIS/Ohlins Motorsport package?

This is the more expensive one; I was told $3,895 vs $2,499 for the SL. How much range does the SL give you for shock damping? My quote on labor--about $1,000--sound about right?? Either is an expensive proposition, I wonder if it's worth it. I'm the guy who corded a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups after only 2 track days. Other than buying a lighter car, I'm looking for a way to remedy the problem. This could include upgraded suspension as above (should also provide some negative camber so outer wear on front tires would be less); and perhaps different tires--maybe Pirelli Corsas as Bob W suggested...
Old 01-26-2008, 06:26 PM

Default the Motorsport package is the more expensive one....

The Signature line is the more economical and less costly to install, I paid $500 to install mine and can be a DIY project IMHO. The Ohlin's are far better than the KW system, IMO, and I liked the spring rate options better, STaSIS seems to have this setup dialed in from what I have researched.

Since I only Autocross 5-6 times a year and the car is a daily driver I was looking for a good performance upgrade and the ability to adjust the ride height. The SL's seemed like the perfect balance of performance and cost. The MS line is the best of the best but I could not justify the cost in my mind, the SL's were the perfect product for me.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 AM

thanks Canyon; anyone else with thoughts on MS vs SL? Mine is the daily driver as well
Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Feed back like this one is what we need to see/hear about because the SL is a brand new kit...

The MS kit will always be up there in performance and most likely ride because of its many adjustments but it is not for everyone because of its initial cost, its installation and honestly how many here would adjust the thing on a daily basis.

I think if the write ups on the SL keep being positive it will be a perfect kit for those who want increased performance over DRC without the all out performance of the MS kit. It will be suited for people who use their cars as daily drivers and track their car once in a while.

In other words it is a very good compromise.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Can you keep updating this tread every so many miles or after events?

We're all going to be looking for something different in the future.

Last weekend when I removed my wheels for a good cleaning and to remove the double back sticky tape used for wheel weights I noticed a bunch of crap at the top of the front shocks. Not greasy to the feel so I don't know if it's the DRC fluid or not. All other suspension components are as clean as a whistle.

I've been noticing a knock sound every once in a while when going over bumps and inclines. I have a service coming up in about 3 weeks so I'll have them look at them.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM

will do!