RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Thinking about buying an rs4

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default have you driven the car yet?

i'm seeing a lot of posts from people who haven't purchased an RS4 because of the lack of available mods for the engine. Assuming you've actually driven the car and determined it to be too slow for your tastes, exactly where in power is it lacking and what would you want to see improved?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do they build hardware and then offer upgrades to the rest of the car to handle the power?

Thought they were software people only when it came to engines?
Old 12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MTM supercharger for RS4 will never happen......

My prediction is that development will run into problem after problem mainly due to heat management issues and 10k non-refundable is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard of.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeah I'm unsure about the rs4. looks great, would love to drive one, but i have

a feeling that the torque would let me down, compared to my s4. I wish there was more you could do to the car. because i love that fact about the s4, there is so much you can do, but at the same time you don't really have to.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default GIAC is a does the software tuning. Jeff Moss is the vender that installs hardware and works with

GIAC to tune software. Jeff is really awesome. I would trust him to pull this off. I don't know if he is interested though. He has his hands full with the B5 platform at the moment as well as other cars.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:12 PM
jba
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default er, i hope you're just referring to the US market...

as the MTM supercharger for the RS4 has been around for a while... (see video below) and i assume it's being sold in the EU..<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY</a></li></ul>
Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have driven the car, and want more low end torque between 2500-to 5000 rpm range.

again, the car is wonderful, but the power distribution is not for me. I like the feeling of getting thrown into my seat when the turbos kick in. All that said, I think the RS4 is the best all around car available today even in a two year old platform. I don't agree with the RS4 M3 AMG comparo below. I just wished it could be tweaked a bit more to my liking.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 PM
jba
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default then again, it's not on their website,....

can't imagine the heat issues would be that significantly different than the S4 though.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's going to take custom hardware, which may mean it's expensive, which limits the market

which means it becomes even more expensive as the deveopment cost is spread over so few sales. And as every tuner knows, the low volume stuff is good for PR (if it works), but the money is in simple volume stuff. You are right that Jeff is going where the real money lies.

And then if you give the car a big bump in power, you are going to have to upgrade the suspension, brakes, and clutch..... and no warranty unless you do something along the lines of HPA or Dinan, which also costs more. That kind of stuff needs factory approval just to get the ball rolling.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just realist. Maybe when these cars are mostly out of warranty and prices have dropped considerably.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I also owned a stage 3+ B5 S4.......

The RS4 needs to be driven differently to extract the power, just like any high revving engine, but if you keep the revs up, it will definitely pin you back to your seat and give you a strong neck snap. Try this: Get going in 3rd gear at around 50 mph. Make sure traction is off and S mode engaged. Now, drop it into second gear an punch it until redline. You can do the same thing going from 4th to 3rd at around 75mph. A NA engine will never have that "swell of power" feeling that a turbo motor will have simply due to the fact that the power delivery is far more linear and every car will have its particulars. I think it's more an issue that the turbo feeling is far more familiar to you. It is also just as easy to get the RS4 motor up to the 4-5k rpm range as is is to get into the "boost zone" on a B5. You need to drive the RS4 for a good 100 miles on a broken in motor. Then decide.

Finally.....there are number of us here who owned highly tuned B5's. I don't think anyone feels the driving excitement in the RS4 is in any way less. This car is fast as stink....no doubt about it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an rs4