S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2004 S4 4.2L Misfire mainly at idle only.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 S4 4.2L Misfire mainly at idle only.

New to the forum, done lots and lots of digging and kinda fallen short. I have 2004 S4 with the 4.2L in it. It recently started misfiring, as well failing to start which ended up being crank sensor. Anyways... It misfires hard at idle. Under acceleration/Constant speeds, it still has a bit of a stutter to it but it is barely noticeable. I have replaced all 8 coilpacks, all 8 spark plugs, crank position sensor and the MAF sensor and absolutely none of it has changed anything. The crank position sensor was replaced to solve an issue of preventing the car from starting. The car starts just fine but as soon as it starts it begins to misfire. Check engine light flashes at idle, as you give it throttle it appears to clear up and the check engine light stops flashing. I am at a total loss of what route to go next. Any insight/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ean Roelfs
New to the forum, done lots and lots of digging and kinda fallen short. I have 2004 S4 with the 4.2L in it. It recently started misfiring, as well failing to start which ended up being crank sensor. Anyways... It misfires hard at idle. Under acceleration/Constant speeds, it still has a bit of a stutter to it but it is barely noticeable. I have replaced all 8 coilpacks, all 8 spark plugs, crank position sensor and the MAF sensor and absolutely none of it has changed anything. The crank position sensor was replaced to solve an issue of preventing the car from starting. The car starts just fine but as soon as it starts it begins to misfire. Check engine light flashes at idle, as you give it throttle it appears to clear up and the check engine light stops flashing. I am at a total loss of what route to go next. Any insight/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Have used VCDS? Checked fuel filter, pump, coil harness, or compression on the misfiring cylinders? Although I have an A6 C6 4.2, I believe the motors are about the same. I have done everything you have done plus the fuel filter.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bump old thread, was this ever figured out?
Old 03-09-2020, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S4 v8 misfire

Hi there,
Did you ever get to the bottom of your misfire problem.???

Old 07-13-2020, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

how about the distributor? Or associated wires?