S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Blown Engine, 4.2 liter, 55,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Engine, 4.2 liter, 55,000 miles

I bought my 2004 Audi S4, 4.2, 353 hp, non turbo engine from my brother in law about a year and half ago. The car had 45,000 miles on it when my wife and I bought it. About 3 weeks ago (the car now has 55,000 miles) my wife went 1/2 mile down the road and the engine started sputtering. Luckily she was able to limp it home. When I got home from work I looked over the engine and saw no visible problems. I started the engine and immediately could tell the timing was way off, it wouldn't even idle. So I had it towed to an Audi maintenance shop. Top notch mechanics that actually are from Germany. To make a long story short the engine and transmission had to be removed from the car so they could fix it. What they found was the Crank Shaft Rail (which is made of plastic) broke in two separate places. The mechanic told me if there would have been one more brake the engine would be pretty much shot. Anyway the total repair cost is going to be around 5,000 dollars. I contacted Audi U.S.A. to make them aware of the problem and the fact this engine is 5,000 miles out of warranty and it has catastrophic engine damage. Not something that should happen at this point of the engines life span. The reps I talked to on the phone didn't want to hear or help one bit. I explained to them at the very least they need to advise their Quality Assurance department of the problem. My words went in one ear and out the other. As far as they were concerned it broke 5,000 miles outside of the warranty, end of story. For those of you who own a 2004 S4 be aware of this issue and please respond to this if you've had a similar problem. I really like the Audi's we have purchased throughout the years, but I have to say this is a tough one to swallow. Good luck to the rest of you who currently own a 2004, S4.
Turns out this was a much bigger problem than originally diagnosed. The engine broke a valve and it did so much damage to the engine it is not practacal to repair the engine. So Audi suggest we shell out 25,000 dollars for an Authorized Audi factory engine. 17,000 for the engine (block) and 8,000 for the install (labor). What a complete joke! 5,000 miles over the warranty and they hear nothing. 55,000 miles total on the car and it's useless! I have to tell you, we have now owned 2 Audi's. The 1st was an A6, we changed the timing belt at the specified time, only to have the belt tensioner bearing cease up and break the timing belt and destroyed three valves. That was a 4,500 dollar fix. And now this. I love Audi's, but their customer support is nonexistent. Now, I think I know what a lot of you guys and gals are thinking, this guy’s crying in his beer. I've been a mechanic for 27+ years; Audi promotes their products, especially the engine as the best in the world. And I do know the difference between performance and family cars, but at 55,000, give me a brake (come to think of it, Audi did-a valve). These engine are not supposed to brake so bad at 55,000 miles. We all pay a lot of money for these cars, it just shouldn't happen. And to get completely snubbed by Audi takes the cake. Like I said, I really liked my car, but this latest experience pushed me over the edge. I am done with Audi. Tomorrow is Saturday and I'm going shopping. I'm going to get a thing of beauty, and it won't be an Audi. Finally an East coast rep. got ahold of me and said he (Audi)was willing to put $1500 towards a new Audi of my choice. What a joke!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

"What they found was the Crank Shaft Rail (which is made of plastic) broke in two separate places."

Having owned a one man (me) foreign car repair shop, I have never heard of a Crank Shaft Rail, let alone anything having to do with a crankshaft being made of plastic.

I would suggest that your problem is a broken timing chain tensioner or guides. This is a known (although not terribly prevalent) issue with these (BHF) engines.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have owned several BMWs, still own 330ci. My B6 S4 is my first and likely my last Audi. The car is great to drive but so many horror stories, so many little things like glove box, center arm rest/console, cup holder, etc.
All cars have weak spots, the difference seems to be that BMW NA goes the extra Mel to keep their customers, doing many good will fixes even after warranty.
Audi seems to say, sorry sucker, once they have your money.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is very disappointing to hear. I have owned 4 Audis in my life. 79 Audi 5000, 85 Audi 4000 Quattro...then a VW Corrado...then an 2005 A8 and now a 2007 S4. 79 Audi 5000 was an amazing car, very slow, but drove and handled great for a 79! The 4000 was a total heap, but I bought it wrecked, and the electrical system was never right. Can't blame Audi for that. The Corrado was a super fun and cool car, but the biggest piece of crap. I had to replace the same parts over and over, most of them the A/C system. Ridiculous. $360 window motors, gear box was crappy...just a total fail of a car.

My A8 was amazing. Not a single problem with that car. Perfect. At 110K I had a little accident otherwise I'd still be driving it.

2007 S4 again is amazing. When you buy a car used, you never know if the things that happen to it are because of someone working on it or because of something Audi did. I had loose rack and pinion bolts ??? That is a new one for me, but two hours labor and I'm back in action.

The customer service I hear about is really awful. I've been very lucky with that last two Audis I've owned have been pretty great cars. The company will fail if they don't get better service and take car of customers.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have 2 M in the past 5 years. More recently was my E60m5 with 31k miles. Blown SMG transmission with 11k bill is far more excessive.