S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

An idea for those planning to keep their S4 past the warranty period:

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An idea for those planning to keep their S4 past the warranty period:

As we all know, we're not driving Toyota Camrys. Many on the board have had major problems that, had theirs cars not been warranted, would have cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair.

These major problems seem to be limited to only a few types: tranny detents (no reverse, popping out of gear), valve lifters (I believe), and power steering pumps.

I know that major problems outside of 4 years/50,000 miles are not unheard of in any car, but I have a feeling we S4 owners are going to see the three issues listed above with alarming consistency. Should we be expected to shell out $15,000 for a new tranny at 50,001 miles? By law, yes. But by any rational stretch of the imagination, that would be an atrocious repair bill, and one that many of us would not be able to afford comfortably.

I propose putting together a list of documented member problems in the three fields I mentioned above, as well as other problems if they exist. When and if push comes to shove and a forum member <i>does</i> get slapped with a monstrous repair bill, he or she will at least have one foot to stand on. If, say, 60 people have had to replace their S4's power steering pump, we might have a case for AoA extending warranty coverage or performing a recall.

Those are my thoughts; I'd like to hear yours.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what time you have bringing up this topic....

...i'm actually faced with this issue at the moment. i have had no major problems with my vehicle. only once simple thing and that's the window regulator went out...they replaced it in a day. however, my warranty is soon to expire. the amount of miles i drive...well actually cause i love my car and love driving it so i take it every where i can.

i do not know whether to take the risk of not getting an extened warranty. i don't even know how much they cost. do you? what if at 60k miles i start having tranny problems...i would sure be **** out of luck. maybe i should trade her in for a new one....but i don't wanna do that. i don't know what to do...well actually i do. i should really just buy an extended warrant shouldn't i?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

NFW!! My S4 is borderline lemon. When the lease is over, it goes bye-bye.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:56 AM

That was not the type of response I was looking for.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If I keep mine, I will almost certainly buy an extended warranty

My decision to keep or not will be based upon how reliable the car is during my time with it and whether I like it or not. If I still love the car, I'll keep it with the intention of owning it for it's lifetime. I believe that once you 'buy' vs. 'lease' you need to commit to keeping it until it is dead, which to me is 150,000 miles, give or take a few.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default As I'm sure you know, I'm planning on keeping it at least 4 more years. With my current mileage,

there goes my warranty.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether my dealer will give me an extended warranty and hook me up on these major issues you're referring to under this warranty? Basically, will it be the same warranty and hookups I have now, just extended?

I think it's dealer dependant, but since they're paying for it, it'll be harder for my advisor just to say "don't worry about it Sia, i'll take care of it for you (remember my black label please)". Know what I mean?

In all honesty, I know we don't drive camry's, but this is seen mostly in minor fixes more than major ones, at least in my car. I can see air vents on the floor of the car "peeling" due to people's feet etc. This is the type of stuff I want replaced under warranty. So the car remains new looking.

I'll ask around when I'm approaching the limit. Hopefully by then, I'd have become "cool" with more people at my dealer.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Good point.... dont know how you would document and how many people affected by a problem..

When i had my A4, it would skid on braking in the wet. Both the dealer and Audi denied there was any problem. I searched the forum and found there were numerous posts on this issue. When i printed them out, audi acknowledged the problem and agreed to put on a brake cover which cured it.
Same with problems with my TT. The forum was invaluable in helping my case. My main fear of keeping the car past warranty is major repairs. Unless their is a reasonable extended warranty, I would not take the chance of keeping past warranty.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just buy an extended waranty. It WILL be worth it for this car!

I did so for my daughter's TT and I was glad I did. Due to electrical gremlins, I believe I replaced (under waranty) 1/2 of the electrical components in the car. I was beginning to believe the electrical system was done by Lucas? For all you guys that mod and keep their cars, it is also cheaper to buy an extended waranty when the car is still covered under the factory waranty
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Default I used to keep my cars a LOOONG Time, However...

This car is so complex, that even though I bot an
extended warranty (7 years, 100,000 miles bumper-to-bumper) I will probably trade it or sell in 5 years. I paid approx $3500 at the time of purchase for this warranty. I had originally planned to keep it "forever", but have been convinced by my (very cool) wife to just get new cars every 5 years or so. Let's see, by that time there should be a fairly cool 998 TT out there....must be a AWD/4WD ultra-high performance car, not SUV. Based on my driving habits, I will run out of time before miles. If I sell with 2 years on warranty, it "should" be easier to sell or trade.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

when i purchased mine, I think I was quoted about $825 for an extra year/10k miles

Quick Reply: An idea for those planning to keep their S4 past the warranty period: