S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

I've searched, but can't find that list of how to properly wash you car. Can anyone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've searched, but can't find that list of how to properly wash you car. Can anyone help me?

I should just save a copy on my HD this time.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, there is a detailing forum on this site.

But frankly I think it's pretty straightforward. People make waaaay too big a deal out of washing a car. Buy some high quality car soap (Meguiars etc.) use cool water, don't wash the car in direct sunlight, that pretty much covers it. If you want to be really **** (I'll admit I do this), throw out any wash mitt or chamois that touches the ground, to keep grit from getting ground into your paint. Don't use your wash bucket for anything but washing your car. Maybe if you're lucky, "meem" will give an answer. He seems to get hounded for his technique all the time on the M3 board
Old 09-26-2003, 11:25 AM

Default A couple of links that may help

Car Care Online is one of the favorites on the detailing forum and the proper auto care site has some good tips as well.

http://www.properautocare.com/washingtips.html<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=14">CarCareOnline</a></li></ul>
Old 09-26-2003, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Nah, I think one of the members posted their own way...and the list of recommended products

Actually, I'm just wondering if the California squeegie or whatever it's called is ok for the paint. That really saves time in drying the car.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I think mm was the one who always provided us with the link
Old 09-26-2003, 12:10 PM
mm
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well there's the detailing forum and Car Care Online has some how-tos...

...you can also click on TroyH's sig for some instructions.<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com">http://www.carcareonline.com</a</li></ul>
Old 09-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Elder Member

Default You will find lots of prefereces on what to do

For me:
1. Wash car with Ivory diswater soap (does not remove wax) - was recommended by many detail shops in the Bay Area in the 80s.
2. Wax - I have heard heard good stuff about Bliz One. (not sure if this is how it is spelled)
I am going to try it next. I have been using Mothers up till now.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sia if you want any help/suggestions drop me an email...
Old 09-26-2003, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Or just take my approach...

My car gets washed when it goes to the dealer. Maybe once a year, at the end of ski season, I'll actually take it to a car wash to get rid of all the dead bugs I've accumulated driving through the desert in the spring.

It doesn't rain much around here, but when it does that helps get the worst of the dirt off.

And no, I'm NOT joking. Life is too short to waste it washing a car. Besides, I'm convinced a good layer of dirt protects the paint just as well as wax does.

DMoore
'04 S4 Avant
Old 09-26-2003, 02:09 PM
mm
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Products/Process

1. Plastic wash bucket with no metal handles or metal surfaces.
2. Plastic spray nozzle for your hose.
3. Soft Pile Wash Mitts (do not use same mitts for body and wheels)
4. P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo

Wet car down thoroughly with cool water. Mix up wash solution with P21S and cool water in your bucket. Wet car down thoroughly again. Wet, wash, rinse panel by panel top to bottom in the following order: roof, side glass and pillars, windshield, rear window, hood, trunk deck, front fenders above beltline, doors above belt line, rear quarter panels above beltline, front bumper, rear bumper, lower doors, rocker panels, wheels (using different/dedicated wash mitts). Each panel/section is washed as follows: wet down, wash with freshly rinsed clean mitt in a consistent linear motion always front to back in the direction that air flows over the car (NOT IN CIRCLES), rinse. During the washing process, turn/rinse the mitt in the bucket of wash water thoroughly/often to avoid wiping dirt around on the surface. Once you're all done to a final rinse of the entire car using just the hose to sheet water of the car to minimize water drops for drying.

Dry as desired to prevent water spots, if you live where it rains a lot and have reasonably soft tap water (i.e. here in Seattle), don't bother with the drying, you'll just get spots next time it rains.

Quick Reply: I've searched, but can't find that list of how to properly wash you car. Can anyone help me?