S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Misfire Problems! P0300, P0302 & P0301

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire Problems! P0300, P0302 & P0301

Luck would have my check engine light came on the day before my 10K service. Dealer said error codes P0300, P0302 & P0301 were/are coming on over and over causing check engine light. But the dealer didn't know what was causing the misfires.

On my way home from the servicing (Thursday) the check engine light came on again. I went back to the dealer again today (Friday). Dealer said they got some diagnostic information from Audi and found out my car was only making a little over 300 Newton meters, the car should make 370-380ish (dealer had another S4 and confirmed theirs was making the correct amount of power). To add insult to injury I've got high flow cats and cat back exhaust (APR).

Needless to say the dealer blames the exhaust. I called APR and they say "no way it is the exhaust, you need to check: coil packs, spark plugs and the mass airflow meter".

I'm feeling like I should never have messed with this car.

Has anyone had this problem? The check engine light only comes on when I rev the car above 6500 rpm.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Misfire Problems! P0300, P0302 & P0301

Sorry to hear this.

<i>I'm feeling like I should never have messed with this car.</i>

please keep us updated either way. I have to decide whether to take a modified car, or ask them to put back the factory gear, and soon.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:31 PM

Default This type of finger pointing is why I refuse to modify this car.

I went through all of this last time around with lots of mods on my B5 S4.

My attitude this time around is "Thanks, but no thanks" to modding. I need a service department that can/will help me without questions and I want to be able to go into almost any dealership in the country and get the same treatment. Being dependant on a "mod friendly" dealer limits how far I can drive my car from home and still have peace of mind.

Good luck with your efforts to get back upright again.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default an exhaust cant cuase misfiring unless....

the o2's are doing something weird to cause the engine to modify its actions, however thats not possible based on how things work. I could see back firing being cuased by a sport exhaust but not misfiring, much different. Tell them to prove its the mod, by law they have to.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Absolutely true...

but this drops us right into that gray area where you have to confront the Service Manager holding your copy of the Magnusson-Moss Act in hand and act beligerent in order to achieve your (rightful) goals.

You are in the right to demand the warranty coverage which should be yours according to law, but the minute you find yourself in the situation where you have to be confrontational in order to get service on your car you have in the long run lost the battle of getting good service from that dealer.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well thankfully....

I have the sales department on my side. I am 20 I have alot more cars to buy in my life. I would hate to have to switch dealers and marquees
Old 05-07-2004, 06:25 PM

Default But

if you drive 1000 miles from home and your car breaks down, it's not your friendly local dealer and their service department you will have to work with. And the remote dealership's service department doesn't care how much your local dealer likes you either.

Mods in the long run limit what you can do with your car in terms of where you go with it. The more extensive the mods, the more this is true. You become tethered to your local source of "friendly" service and can't venture out past the length of the leash without exposing yourself to the possibility that you may encounter hostile attitudes towards your mods.

Sad reality, but one whose lessons I am quite familiar with and why I am limiting mods this time around.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yea...

i know how it is.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:14 PM

Default My S4 also had misfires at 1200 miles..

I had a flashing check engine light too and shut it down. After towing to the original dealer they diagnosed three cylinders as misfiring. Funny thing was after unloading from the tow it started right up and ran fine. They cleared the check engine lite and so far (3200 mi's, so good. Service said to me that it was the result of starting it, driving 100', shutting down and then restarting. This was actu***y exactly what I had done. They said the engine gets so much fuel on the start that if shut down quickly then restarted it can effectively flood. Didn't sound like a real good thing to me but I found it interesting that their diagnosis was right on.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:57 AM

Default 100% agree with this. My car before this was a 97 Grand Prix GTP with a supercharger

that I put A LOT of money into. It ran low 13's in the 1/4 mile, but was not stable at all in the end. I had to get rid of it before I blew the engine or something.

My thoughts after that were, buy a car that is what I want of the factory line. Of course, we all know the price of the S4, but it is bone stock and more fun to drive than my GTP ever was.

Quick Reply: Misfire Problems! P0300, P0302 & P0301