S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

The ole misfire when warm at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ole misfire when warm at idle.

Hello all,

Little background:
I am new here but I've been doing a lot of research with my vehicle. I bought it roughly 7k miles ago (Car sat for a few months). The dash just hit 126k.
2005 automatic S4. Some weird things happened after I bought the car. They claimed that the timing chain guides where done prior to me purchasing the vehicle.
There is a lot of new parts on the vehicle so I know they spent the money to fix it. That being said, I now think I have a Cam issue.

Less than 200 miles into driving the vehicle I had to throw money at this thing already for a new alternator and the car started idling oddly. Took it to a shop in Scottsdale that specializes on Porsche Audi etc.
4k later they came up with a wonderful list of issues I needed to fix. The car still has an issue after it warms up. It starts misfiring at idle.

Any ideas on what I should do from here would be great.

This is what the shop came up with while I was there.
Dear Mr. Kent,
I have attached photos for your review. This Audi has had some poor quality work performed on it. The car will continue to break down and have severe issues if these aren't handled.
Photo 1: passenger side spark plug wire harness cover isn't attached (we haven't removed that side to inspect yet as we started with the other side that has the misfire faults).
Photo 2: this is what the inside of the spark plug connector should like.
Photo 3: this is what the inside of spark plug connector for cylinder #5, as you can see it is destroyed.
Photo 4: this is the inside of ignition coil #5 where it looks like someone tried to glue the spark plug connector (from photo 3) into the ignition coil.
Photo 5: these are the ignition coils from the driver's side of the engine, as you can see they all have rust on them.
Spark plugs themselves don't look too bad, it just looks like someone replaced the plugs, didn't replace the coils (but should have) and ruined the spark plug wire harness and tried to glue it back together.
Photo 6: this is the hose that comes off the coolant expansion tank. It looks as though someone has taped this hose together instead of replacing it.

We will put together a game plan on the ignition coils and spark plug harness as well as get a diagnosis on the power steering leak as we move forward.