S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Picked mine up last night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked mine up last night...

Dealer said all along that would arrive on 10/9...and it did. Had it prepped and ready to go that evening (I live in San Antonio and the car came through Houston - probably sped things up). It's a 6-sp sedan, dolphin, premium, infotainment, black/silver alcantara, nav, phone, XM, heated seats, multi-function wheel, Phatbox (waiting for install). This morning I had the biggest grin on my face pulling onto the interstate and hearing that engine growl. I couldn't drive it enough today-put 110 miles on. This is by far the most fun car I have ever driven. A new point that really hasn't been mentioned - this car really appeals to all of your senses. Beautiful to look at, inside and out; the magnificent growl/rumble of the engine; the feel of the suede and precise shifts, impeccable build quality and attention to detail, the terrific sense of speed and control while driving. Here are some of my impressions:

1. The gearbox is the best I've ever felt. Each gear is a breeze to engage, could shift with two fingers, nice short throws.

2. The clutch is lighter than my A6 2.7T - and that's great. Very easy to shift perfectly and not tiresome in rush hour traffic.

3. The speed sensitive steering is right on - again, an improvement on my A6. Lighter than A6 when in parking lot, heavier than A6 when cruising. They nailed it!

4. Though I haven't gone over 4K RPM, you always get the feel that the engine has plenty left to give. Tourque everywhere along band - on test drive, I nailed the accelerator in 3rd at 1500 rpm on a steep uphill, and the car ate it up. The previous arguments about the car not feeling fast and being "sneaky fast" don't make sense to me. This car feels FAST, sounds fast, and is fast. Period!

5. The seats feel great, very little lateral movement, nice touch to allow the bottom cushion to extend forward. I still haven't found a perfect seating position, though. I think alot of it has to do with driving a roomier car previously. Another factor is the clutch has alot of travel and a very high engagement point, higher than the gas and brake pedals, so when the seat is positioned right for the clutch, I feel that the brake and gas are too far away. I'm sure I'll get it right soon, though.

6. The suspension is firm, but not overly firm. Minimal roll detected in twisties and heavy accelerating/braking - a nice change from the A6. The car corners like it is on rails. But you will know if a road needs paving!

7. Contrary to other posts, this car is an attention grabber! I know it doesn't look much different that the A4 (a plus for me) but I have already had three people do double-takes looking at the car. Just tonight I pulled up behind a crosswalk downtown as a punk teenager was crossing with his girlfriend. He quickly glanced at my car and turned away. As I stopped the car, however, the engine revved a little (I don't know how!) and he and his girlfriend stared back at the car as he continued crossing with the look on his face "what is that? It's not a regular audi." When I was signing my loan papers today, the bank manager saw me get out of the car and he insisted that I take him for a ride before I left.

As said previously, Audi has nailed it with this car. Before delivery I was worried that the car wasn't worth what I paid (54K - got 1500 off sticker), but after spending the day with my new baby, I feel the car is worth every penny. This car is drastically different and better than the A4 3.0 6-sp sport package (I spent a day with that car before the purchase). If you're on the fence and can afford the car, DO IT! You won't regret it.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Excellent review

I've had the opportunity of driving the new S4 for about an hour, and I agree with all of your assertions. If a potential buyer values performance, style(interior & exterior),safety, and praticality, it's hard to beat the S4. There are cars that excel the S4 in some of the categories, but none in my view give you the total package like the S4.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:17 AM

Default Glad to hear you love the car. Now about the power...

I think most new owners will find the power and acceleration very impressive. I know I did even during break-in.

However, power is relative and it all depends on what you are used to driving. Coming from an M3, I was used to being thrown back in the seat and having a wild ride when the car was floored. The S4 feels different accelerating from a standstill. The S4 feels more powerful than the M3 in roll-on acceleration in the higher gears which is what you see more of while driving in traffic than drag racing from stoplights.

The more I drive my S4 the more I like it. I am still getting used it's power delivery and had a quasi-epiphany the other day while driving the BMW Z4. The Z4 instantly throws me back in the seat but then moves out more slowly. The S4 doesn't have as great an initial push but it continues to build speed more rapidly. There is no doubt that the S4 is more powerful and faster but a casual seat of the pants perception could easily leave you with the impression that the Z4 accelerates quicker, even though it doesn't. So how does this translate into the real world for me?

I was stopped at a light in the right lane and there was a bus stopped a little down the road on the far side of the light. When the light turned green, the car in the left lane accelerated fairly quickly and I thought the space was tight enough that an M3 or Corvette under full throttle could just make it. My gut told me there wasn't enough space and time to make the pass in the Audi but my mind said the S4 has consistently proven to be faster than I think so I gave it gas. Sure enough, the S4 out accelerated and pulled in front of the car in the left lane with plenty of room to spare. I still feel a bit surprised by how quickly the car accelerates and am waiting for the day my gut and mind fully converge. From posts on this board, people coming out of modded B5's, M3s and the like seem to be the ones that are perceptually challenged regarding the S4's power. I am getting better but not yet fully cured.

Alan
Old 10-11-2003, 05:36 AM

Default You have hit one item on the head - this car is not stealthy once anyone hears it.

Personally I wanted a car that no one would suspect of actually having a V8 under the hood until I wanted them to know about it, but that is not at all the case.

I have caused a LOT of cases of whiplash in traffic when we accelerate from a stoplight even at normal traffic speeds. Folks who didn't look twice at the car when we were idling at the light whip their heads around the minute we start accelerating to see where the sound was coming from and their eyes bulge when they see my Avant. Especially notable for the pony car crowd (Mustangs, Firebirds, etc). The immediate reaction is one of recognizing the sound of a not so mild mannered V8 and of course the Avant always throws them for a loop at that point. I need a "Baby on Board" window sticker to round out the effect

I haven't had a car that tended to stir up testosterone like this in years - cars I casually pass suddenly match my speed and act like they want to race.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:57 AM

Default SA now I'm jealous, mine came on same ship, still waitin...

I'm in DFW and still no sign of my car. Great write up BTW, I'm so excited I can hardly sit still, its been 6 months since I ordered and it'll be here any day.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:32 AM

Exactly right ! I feel the same . Still learning .It is a different car
Old 10-11-2003, 08:26 AM

Default The car isn't stealth sitting in a parking lot. I just found a couple with their noses pressed up

against my windows and they had to be in their mid 70's. They wanted to know what the shark fin was.

Alan
Old 10-11-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Wow. When I first got my B5 S4 (Oct. 2000), no one knew what it was at all.

It wasn't until over a year later before people really became aware of Audi's S line of cars. The stealth factor was a lot of fun because no one really suspected just how fast that car really was until you decided to let them know about it.

I am getting used to having people (all ages) ask me if this is the one with the V8 in it - even with it not running as you described.

Times have definitely changed.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:31 AM
N8
AudiWorld Member

Default I want to thank you and BiggerTwin for your posts...

I am now excited to get my car again. I have been worrying a little too much about the engine/tranny problems that some have been experiencing. It is posts like yours that remind me why I chose the car and make me forget about backing out of my deal. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:20 PM

Default I have yet to see a site that didn't have someone reporting a problem. These are complex mechanical

devices and I am surprised that the vast majority of them are trouble free when there are so many different things that can go wrong in a car. Everybody makes a few lemons and if you let that stop you from buying a particular car you would end up being a pedestrian.

The car is wonderful and odds are yours will be trouble free.

Alan