S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Reactions from other drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 PM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reactions from other drivers

I've owned my S4 for just over a month now, and put on just over 1000 miles.

I've never owned a car in this class before and I've notice some funny things from other drivers over the past few weeks. And I find it pretty amusing.

Here is what I'm talking about. One day while driving on the highway in the outer lane I pass a Mitsubishi EVO contently driving in middle lane until I pass him -- then he has to weave through traffic and finally pass me on the right about a mile later. Another day I'm driving up the sprial parking garage ramp and this guy in Infiniti G35 has to speed up and drive about a foot from my rear bumper up the ramp, and believe me I was not driving like a turtle, I never do. Also on the highway I've seen the "speed up" from M3's, mustang's, and those POS firebird or camaro's, can't tell which is which they're so fugly.

These guys obviously recognize the trim on the S4 and know it's an S4 and not an ultrasport A4. I'll give them credit for that and take it as props to the S4... but otherwise.. holy F*ing fragile ego's!!!

I don't get it. I just want to drive fast and get where I'm going. I don't care if a faster car wants to pass me. Don't have anything to prove, especially in a parking garage.

Does everyone else see this stuff? I take it as a compliment towards the S4 but at the same time I think it's pretty funny. I didn't expect as many people to know what the S4 is all about.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Yup - I noticed this right after I got my car and it still is the norm.

I think that the sound of the engine sets them off more than anything else. I saw that kind of reaction back when no one even knew what the new S4 was at all.

I am always amazed at the number of drivers who speed up to "race" my cruise control.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I RARELY get that. Too stealthy? Never. However, I do get pedestrians turning around to see what

car that was making the whoosh sound of the Hyperflow!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting... I'm in the Bay Area and nobody has really tried to seriously race me yet...

and I've had my car for almost a year and have nearly 15K on the clock. I normally drive 101, 280 and 880. From Oakland/Berkeley area, to San Jose area, to San Francisco area. Call me lucky, or unlucky! Good to hear you guys having some good fun...
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default After a year? wow. I would say it's less about them directly

wanting to race and more about proving what their car can do, even though I'm just trying to get to work and have no interest. I had a TT for 5 years and never saw this kind of thing, except for a couple of rice rockets.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mmm interesting... yeah, nobody has really "flexed" on me yet...

they all must think I have an A4 or are "too scared" to race... hehe
Old 10-14-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Imagine if you coupled that with a cat-back system! Or downpipes :)

I got both now and all I hear is VROOOMMM (from the front of the engine [intake] and the back [exhaust])!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Elder Member

Default Happens all the time. After the confusion wears off, the ego contest is on.

Usually takes a few seconds for them to realize where all that power is coming from, and then watching them try to make sense of the wagon is priceless.

Too bad, I really wasn't out to hurt anybody's ego. Like you, I like to accelerate quickly to the speed limit. ;-)
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm also in the Bay Area (SF) and I don't think anybody knows what my car is either.

No challenges...ever.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The S4 has cruise control?????

I know, but I never have a chance to use it here in Mass. Maybe on an empty road to be safe from the Lidar? Never happens where and when I drive.
Re: folks trying to race -
Nobody notices the Avant, until I blow their socks off, j/k - but I get challenges daily to the R32 - which I thought was "just a Golf" in appearance.

Eschar,
missing her S4, in the shop with AC issues - driving an A4 which is amazingly cool in the footwell, but sadly nowhere else. I'm a MT snob, I admit it.

Quick Reply: Reactions from other drivers