S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

So what is the current tally amongst those publications that have opined the B6 S4???....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what is the current tally amongst those publications that have opined the B6 S4???....

UK Publications
Top Gear - Lukewarm review, slightly negative overall. BUT SEE (NICE SEATS) Mag does say BUY this car if you drive in the rain each day.
EVO - Lukewarm review, slightly negative overall. BUT SEE (NICE SEATS)
CAR - Trending negative overall. BUT SEE (NICE SEATS)-Magazine actually finds humor in the hp figure. 344 vs 343 for the M3.

German Publication - (Unknown Name- supposedly good) PROBABLY (NICE SEATS)

US Publications - First Impressions/First Drives
Car & Driver - Lukewarm at best. BUT SEE (NICE SEATS)
Automobile - Same as above.BUT SEE (NICE SEATS)
Road & Track - Same as above. BUT SEE (NICE SEATS)
European Car - Good Review AND (NICE SEATS)

We've got one good review. Having read all of the above, I would have to say that the consensus at this point is not positive. Why is this?? Were expectations too high??? The one strong point from these publications appears to be the seats. Strong thumbs up for the seats.

Most of the same magazines listed above also discuss/review the new Volvo S60R and the consensus there seems to be good. Is this because of low Volvo expectations?
Old 02-12-2003, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re-read the R&T article. It seemed more than "lukewarm" to me. Seemed very positive.

AutoWeek also had a very positive first drive review.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah and we probably won't get the Recaro seats over here.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:03 AM

Default I would have to disagree...

I think that most if not all reviews have been very positive. They have raved about the engine, transmission, brakes etc...

I've been very happy witht the reviews so far...

and to be honest, I could care less what magazine writers think...I base my judgements on my own test drives and nothing else. I realize this is all we have to go on right now, but these reviews are only of passing interest to me.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Um, I think you're wrong in your assessment

It sounds like we read completely different reviews. Most of the reviews were trending or are positive except a few niggles. Interesting as well is the lack of consistent negatives across Germany, the UK, and the US.

Consistent with everyone:
1) The engine: great piece of hardware. One of the best available.
2) New six-speed: Almost everyone raves about the new six-speed.
3) Brakes: all very positive

Not consistent:
1) Handling: Complaints from a few journalists about understeer. However, others believed understeer to me minimal and FAR better than any Audi in history.
2) Suspension: Stark difference here. Most US mags consensus that it provides almost perfect comfort/handling balance. German magazines gave glowing reviews except that practically all noted the harsh suspension.
3) Steering: Saw most negative reviews in the UK, mentioning the light steering at slow speeds and the abrupt change to heavy when driving faster. One also mentioned lack of feel vs. BMW. However, very positive in Germany and somewhat positive in the US.
4) Acceleration: Only those who look exclusively at acceleration numbers vs. the M3 are complaining. This is, the S4 is NOT a direct M3 competitor. The RS4 is. Wait another year or so.

Summary: Very positive reviews in general. Most complaints came from the UK journalists (must be the warm beer ;-) ).
Old 02-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Ash

Default Actually we are getting these seats....

...specially federalized with the North American market in mind.

Ash
Old 02-12-2003, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The reason we didn't get the Euro recaros on the B5 is due to the US DOT.

They wouldn't approve the airbag design. Audi had Recaro redesign the airbags in the new seats just for the US market.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Elder Member

Default I agree - the weather was horrid for testing the car so they could only push it so far

They will do a thorough report when the US version arrives. They are the best technical magazine that I have ever seen.

When ever I have driven a car before they have reviewed it - my thoughts on it were the same as them - Conversely - when I have read their reviews first and driven the car - I felt their comments were valid. (Somehow I have been in-sync with their criteria.)
Old 02-12-2003, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup - My thoughts exactly
Old 02-12-2003, 11:01 AM

Default My $0.02--

The publications you've listed seem to look favorably upon the S4 when it stands alone, but, when compared to the M3, it still comes up short. CAR, I believe, said the two really shouldn't be compared--sedan/avant vs. coupe/convertible??? Seems that the S4 is liked for its luxury and quattro drivetrain while the M3 is superior as a "driver's car." Perhaps I'm wrong in my interpretation, but thats what I've taken away from those selected readings.

Quick Reply: So what is the current tally amongst those publications that have opined the B6 S4???....