S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Tein Super Street coilovers and H-Sport sways installed on Avant - initial imnpressions. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Super Street coilovers and H-Sport sways installed on Avant - initial imnpressions. (long)

Sorry, no pics yet, but soon to follow.

The job was done in 2 stages. I am not a DIY guy, but a buddy who is a long time racer (modified M3's and spec Miata) just bought an S4 and wanted to work with me on the project to learn about the car's supension. We completed the front coilovers and rear sways in about 10 hours. I ran out of free time, so I had a local shop finish the front sways and rear coilovers (They are charging $500 for the labor, including mounting a fullback exhaust when it arrives).

The DIY part was not easy - consistent with what other experienced mechanics have posted. The instructions on the teins are uniquely uninformative, so I do not recommend this as a self-help project for anyone but the most experienced. The sways are alot easier. One thing I will mention, we drilled through center of the mount area, just behind the welded tower brace, to gain access to the damping adjustment which is on the top of the damper. Otherwise, you have to remove the shock to make an adjustment. It is fairly easy to drille and gain access on the passenger side, but on the driver side the metal lines for the brakes are in the way, as is the ECU box (at least I think that's what it is). We tried drilling a bigger hole under the brake lines, and since the access to the adjustment **** will be off-axis, I hope to use a long handled ball mount hex wrench to make the adjustments. I had to order that tool on-line, and since it has not arrived yet, I still don't know if I have solved the problem of easy adjustment on the driver side.

The Teins are set at about 25.25 inches height in the front and 25.5 in the rear. I was worried that the ride would become harsher than stock, but on the recommended "comfort" setting, I do not find that to be the case at all - and I mean not one little bit. The car has the same luxury ride, only a touch firmer, but with greatly reduced body roll, dive and squat. The car turns in much quicker with the sways, and I suspect with traction control off and with a little hard tossing, one could even get the back end out a little.

The guy that installed the rears is a long-time Audi mechanic, tuner, and general car nut. (when I arrived at the shop he was wearing a t-shirth that said "I am the Stig.") He has driven several stock S4's, and on test driving said he was very impressed with the improvement.

Bottom line is it seems Tein has a great product for the price point. It may not be as sophisticated as the Stasis or KW Variants, but it costs less than half as much and gives you a lowered stance and much improved, adjustable ride. Of course, I can't comment yet on durability - just initial impression. For those that are looking for these qualities, maybe this will help you decide.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool...nice write up.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know the success of the accees mod and post pics of it please
Old 09-15-2006, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Success confirmed on access mod. . .

Again, still no pics, but they will come in a separate thread after this weekend. The mod is in no way pretty - it is a just a gnarly hole drilled through the metal. However, I was thrilled that I got the driver side hole in a place where an off-axis, long handled ball mount 3 mm hex wrench allows adjustment from above. Sweet!!! Went from full comfort to "aggressive street" setting for the ride to work today.

On another note, height adjustment for the rear is not going to be quick or easy. The rears are not a true coilover, just separate springs on a height-adjustable perch. You can't make a height adjustment with the system installed. Not enough room for the wrenches, and even when they engage, the whole perch turns with the wrench. So height will have to be set by taking the rear springs off, adjusting, and then reinstalling.