S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Thoughts from those who have (or are considering) lease buyout

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thoughts from those who have (or are considering) lease buyout

Well, I have been trying to find a replaceemnt for my 04 S4 for quite some time and just haven't found anything that does it for me without moving way outside my lease comfort zone. I was seriously considering a new S4 Avant but can't get much below $900/mo without doing silly large decap. My wife is campaigning hard for a IS-F but I'm just not sure I like that one well enough to commit.

I have given some serious thought to a 335 but I just can't bring myself to become a BMW owner without an M in the model name (no offense to those that are - they are great cars, but around here they are more common than Hondas (again - no offense) and that's just a little too common for me).

Anyway, my buyout with CPO added was quoted at 26.5K I hope to be able to negotiate that down a little. The car has been free of major problems and the only real issue I have had with it has been regular replacement of the window regulators. I just turned 25K miles on it.

I suspect that between the buyout, CPO and tax that I will be around $29K which is probably upsidedown in this car and with the way resale on these is dropping, I'll probably be that way for a while. Hopefully at least even by the fall incase something interesting does come up.

I have read all of the posts here and a few other sites as well on the topic so I guess I'm just looking for moral support that I am doing the right thing or maybe some thoughts from someone who was faced with the same decision and went a different way for a reason that I haven't thought of.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the current going price for these cars, there isn't a better deal out there.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In the same boat and will be buying out my 04 S4 next month ...

I've got 22k miles on mine and my cost will be similar to yours (including additional 5yr/60k miles of Audi Pure Protection Platinum coverage with $0 deductible). I'm certain I would not be able to find a car that's half as much fun or that I would look forward to driving as much for less than twice the price so it's a no-brainer for me.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Thoughts from those who have (or are considering) lease buyout

I'm in the same exact position. Considered the 335, but it doesn't do it for me. A new S4 would be ridiculous to lease.

Buyout on by B6 is $26.5k, but without CPO. How did you get CPO on your car?

Also, according to posts on the archives, Audi won't negotiate anything until the last month, when they will negotiate a discount on the extended warranty or even throw it in for free. According to these posts, a different team handles leases expiring that month, and they can deal. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all...

Just traded an '06 A4 2.0tq Tip (I became self concious of that front grill, never grew on me...) for an '04 S4 manual w/CPO at about $29K. Yes resale is soft but what out there has the performance & features at that $?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My offer is from the dealership...

I still have two payments left and after not being able to come to terms on a CPO RS4 or a new S4, my salesman (who I have worked with for quite a few years) suggested that this might be my best option. I might be able to get a little better direct from AFS if I wait but I suspect the dealership is able to take credit for this as a sale and I understand that Feb has been a pretty slow month in the car business. I wouldn't mind helping them out but don't want to give up anything significant for the gesture.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: My offer is from the dealership...

Cool keep us posted - also interested to see if there is some negotiation room after lease. I was in the exact same dilemma but ended up with my current A4. 90% happy I did it since I was tired of visiting the pump, commute has changed to all city (hence the tip), saving $200/mo excluding fuel costs, and a major shift in priorities.

The other 10% longs for the V8 sound and performance.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm planning to buy my car when the lease ends soon. Will hold onto it until the B8s arrive.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lease End dept would not negotiate with me. But I have a suggestion.

First drive a stock 335i coupe or sedan. Then, if you can, find someone who has chipped his car with either a Turbo Tuner($600), Juice Box($400), Xede($1000), Procede($1400), or a Dinan reflash ( $2000). These simple mods take the 335i into RS4 territory. Much faster than an E46 M3. Procede and Dinan will give the New E92 M3 a run for the money. Granted the 335i does not have the bells and whistles of an M3, but it costs a lot less, and is better on gas, and really a better daily driver.

Otherwise, buy your car and wait for the B8 S4 to arrive. Don't hold your breath for any reasonable lease rates from Audi.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like a perfect deal for you. Good price for a 25k CPO'd car too.

Quick Reply: Thoughts from those who have (or are considering) lease buyout