S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Totally lost on exhaust systems can you guys help out? What are the different brands?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally lost on exhaust systems can you guys help out? What are the different brands?...

So far I have seen Milltech,
LaBree, AWE. What are the others if any for a 2005 4.2L Avant W/TIP. I want a low rumble at idle and just a slightly louder sound without drone or resonance under power. Maybe a 30% gain in noise. The car is a daily driver so sound fatigue and drone are big issues for me. I also don't want to loose any low end grunt but would like mid range to high rpm breathing increases,,,asking too much?
If anyone knows you guys do so any help is appreciated. I have been searching the web for the last three days looking for something that won't break the bank but is a reasonable quality good sounding system....Thanks!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If your sound issues are top priority, then just a catback

unfortunately, you wont see much power gains if any. The DP is where the Power is but it radically modifies and amplifies the sound. The tone is a person pref so find some people in your area and try to take a listen.. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have to disagree on "little or no power gains" with just a catback

I just had a Milltek non-res installed, and looked at both exhausts side by side. The stock S4 exhaust is tiny in comparison, with crimped, smaller pipes, and Milltek has proven dyno graphs that show decent gains.

I can really feel a difference in performance, especially from 3rd gear up.

At least 10 whp and 10-15 wheel torque. Maybe it is the Strat Hyperflow that helps out as well...but besides the great sound benefits, there ARE performance gains.

Oh yeah...and throttle response is better as well.

If you are going to mod your B6 S, I would highly recommend the Stratmosphere Hyperflow intake and Milltek non-res cat back.

Great combo, and warranty safe.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'd have to disagree with you! Dyno charts showing 10whp are from the manufacturer.

Dynos in LA with thermal and milltek show 0-negative gains with the aftermarket exhaust. I don't know of any 3rd party dynos that show gains with only a catback.

Also, 10-15 hp (crank) is 3% gain let's say. Do you really believe you can feel the difference with your butt dyno, or are you actually just <i>hearing</i> the difference? I believe if your'e really in tune with your car, it's possible...but I'd say 5% of the people <i>on here</i> could tell if that many at all.

I was just talking to Miwa about this earlier today...I think the baffled design of milltek's catback might be to blame. Yes, the pipe diameter is larger and the milltek is lacking the crimp of the stock setup, but it's getting clogged up in the catback. You can hear this when you compare Ben's setup which is identical to mine minus the catback. You get no sound out of the muffler when you tap the throttle. It sounds like nothing is coming out until 2.5k-3k when it starts to make noise.

Now, Milltek is a great sounding system, and the non-res is perfect for people who just want the sound. I've heard Haw's labree catback setup and it sounds sweet too. For just a catback, I'd recommend Haw's Labree or Milltek non-res. Milltek res is too quiet for just a catback, but note, the Milltek non-res will have a bit of interior resonance.

Colo, have a listen to some catback setups in person if possible. You may even prefer just a milltek resonated if the non-res is too loud for your tastes, and I believe it may just be.

Final note, Haw doesn't want his setup loud at all, yet he's thrilled with his labree catback 3 inch setup.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM

I have the Full Labree set up, but it sounds like you are looking for Miltek Resonated Exhaust only.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My Milltek Res is NOT quiet.

it sounds great.
Deep sounding and pleasant.
If you just slightly blip the throttle, you hear it.

You don't need to be at 2.5-3K to hear the rumble Sia.

I'm sticking with the RES, because I plan on doing some DP's and just a little bit louder, will be loud enough for me.....

I don't think many CB's make any power, it's all about sound.

Of course all the Manf. will claim gains, but we know what's up.

CB's: it's all about note/tone....

Listen to them before making a decision....
Find guys in your area and hear it for yourself.

Everyone's ideas of a 'pleasant' sound is different.

kj
Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had the exact concerns you do..

I just installed AWE res cb system and couldn't be happier with the sound. Great rumble at idle with a deeper growl at higher rpm's. I do hear a slight droan while highway cruising, but only at 2k rpm, so I just avoid 2k. The system fit perfectly and was probabally the best $1000 I could have spent on this car. Most bang for the buck to say. I highly recommend an exhaust, any exhaust!
Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was in similar boat and went with APR DPs and Exhaust...

... I was balancing performance and sound. The power is smooth all the way across and very noticable. It is really not too much louder than stock, but a nice throaty rumble sound. From the full set up it was quite a bit cehaper than the Miltek as well. The system is well built and the tapered, etched tips look real good... very-non-ricer-ish. (Is that a verb?)
Old 06-09-2005, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If noise is your main concern, Milltek res is the way to go. But I do love my ASP!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PS: APR is also quiet, but I feel their size is too close to stock to show any real gains in power.

Quick Reply: Totally lost on exhaust systems can you guys help out? What are the different brands?...