S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Weird noise coming from brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise coming from brakes.

Sadly I haven't been in town too much lately to really enjoy my car, however something weird that I have noticed over the past couple of days is when I come to a complete stop my brakes kind of make a loud noise, almost as link a honking sound.

Not being paranoid nor do I think this is a huge problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has or does experience this, and could it be that the brakes are so new and fresh that they are just essentially breaking in? Thanks for you help,
Old 11-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Elder Member

Wait.. what noise does it make again?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Default HONK, haha no seriously...

it's like a noticeable noise, not like my breaks are squeaking but, but yeah I guess it's like a honk.

If I'm just cruising along and tap the breaks or need to slow down I don't hear anything. It only happens when I come to a complete stand still. Almost as if the weight from the rear of the car is pushing forward and causing my brakes to stutter or something.

Like I said I'm sure it will go away in time, and is not horrible or anything, but it is a noticeable noise and I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Default I wouldn't say I'm experiencing a HONK perse...

...however while backing out of my garage down my drive way and come to a stop THEN slightly release my breaks, they produce a knocking sound. As my S4 only has 700 miles on it, I contribute this to the breaks being "squeaky new". The manual did mention a 500 mile break break-in period.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Probably the same thing

When I say HONK, I don't mean it says like our horn, which I may add sounds kinda *****-ish, but I'm sure what you mnetioned is the same thing.

Do you ever expericne this when you come to a stop at a red light or stop sign? That's when I hear it the most. Probably just being a paranoid new car owner.

ps That screen name is kind of a downer huh?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Default I really haven't noticed it while moving forward...

but now that you mention it, I will probably always hear it while drawing to a stop.

My screen name is in recognition of our baby girl that passed away this summer as a result of leukemia. The more people know how awful cancer is, the quicker we can find a cure. If you'd like to know more about our daughters fight with leukemia, click this <a href="http://www.caringbridge.org/ca/tiffanythomas/" target="_blank">link</a>.

)
Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Default So sorry to hear about your daughter, I agree cancer does...

suck. I lost my best friend last year to cancer.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i've got 8k now on mine, and I STILL have this issue

Took it into the dealer twice, once they told me it was due to air pressure being off, and the quattro system was what I heard. Set the air pressure (didn't believe them, but did it anyway), and the next morning same thing in a straight line.
Took it in again, second time they said they couldn't reproduce.

Recently, I've tried to open my windows and use the sound recorder on my phone(!) when I hear it, but that hasn't been too successful.

I'm contemplating putting a mic over there!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 PM

She looks like a little angel. So sorry for your loss.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 PM

Default That's very touching.

I am extremely sadden and sorry for your loss. You are right, cancer is obviously a horrible thing and in some way or another has affected all of our lives.

Quick Reply: Weird noise coming from brakes.