S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Who wants Track pads!!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wants Track pads!!??

I put in a call to Larry at Carbotech. We had a great conversation.

Turns out, I got some details on the pads. Our front calipers use pad #915. That's a government issued number for our pads. Larry looked it up in his book and was amazed at the size of the pad. He says it nearly 2.5" tall! He says it's almost identical to the Ferrari Enzo pad.

Anyway, here's the good part. He's calling Canada right now to see if they can get the backing plate. If he can order the backing plate, he can then use the Ferrari block to mold the pad for our plates. Perfect fit! They have several kinds of pad compounds available, and you can check them out <a href="http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm">here.</A> I think I'm going to go for the XP8.

If anybody is interested in having a street pad, they can do that too, but they wanted us to know that they will not have a wear sensor. They can insert a wear sensor to the pad, but they would need a core set in order to take the wear sensors off, and they would mold them into a street setup for you.

Anyway, prices on the pads are going to be around $229-249 for the track pads. He is going to get back to me today and let me know if he can get the plates. If so, he's going to order them today since they are placing a larger order as well. I think he'll have enough for 12 sets. That's 12 cars. So, if anybody is interested, LET ME KNOW!!

Some info on the stock pads:
Front = #915, 2.5" tall
Rear = #1018

The pads are made by either Jurid or Textar. OEM manufacturers for BMW, Audi, etc. He says that they are very decent pads, but they are known to have horrible brake dust.

Anyway, anybody that's interested let me know! Or send me an email.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wes, I'm in. 100% (sending you separate email today).

thx,

d
Old 08-16-2004, 07:07 AM

Me!!!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ummm surprise! ;P nice seeing you on Sat. btw.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do I even have to say anything :-P
Old 08-16-2004, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MEMEMEMEMEME!

I've run two events on the stock pads and just came back from our Chicago chapter school at Blackhawk. Both at Blackhawk and Grattan, I am able to move the stock pads beyond their effective temperature range by the fourth lap if I use deep, deep braking. Of course if I were a better driver, I wouldn't have to use my brakes so much...

I was thinking something more agressive for track use only, but I really would like to get a better idea of what would fit my needs before I commit to a specific compound.

Thanks for the hook-up. YGM
Old 08-16-2004, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Which option would be best for street use?

I absolutely hate the stock pads because of all the brake dust they put on my wheels. It is such a pain to get it off when it rains on the polished lips. I just want a replacement pad that will act the same as stock but without the dust. Wes, or anyone else, you guys are knowledgeable, which would you suggest? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Elder Member

Default I'd recommend either going with the PantherPlus or the XP8.

The XP9 and XP10 are going to be way beyond what we could use on street tires and will probably lock up the fronts.

I'm going to go with the XP8's because I'm looking for a track-only pad. I'm going to order a set of the Bobcat's for the street. They are much better with the brake dust. I'd go ahead and use the warranty and get another set of pads if they were covered, but since our 04's DO NOT include brakes or pads, we're screwed. And we either buy their overprice OEM pads or go with a better, lower dust, and more effective pad.

I'll add you to the list and get back to you with more info as soon as I have it.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default per my email to ya, I'd say the XP8 is right in that "sweet spot" of best of both worlds.

not tooo much.

not too little.

I think the XP9 would really be too much.

next logical question becomes how easy / diff, is the pad swap out.

my guess is 1.5 hours for both, bout 45 min a side???
Old 08-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Elder Member

Default I'd recommend the Bobcat for the street.

That's what I'm going to get. Much less brake dust, decent friction point, and a high-enough temps that you'll never get to on the street.

Quick Reply: Who wants Track pads!!??