S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 Squeaks and Rattles, warranty almost up. Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S4 Squeaks and Rattles, warranty almost up. Advice

So I have a 2010 S4 that I bought this January. Love the car, the sprint blue is an awesome color.
One of the things that annoys me (and multiple other people in the B8 forums) is the different squeaks and rattles in the car from the center console, sunroof, or headliner.
With 41k miles on my car, I'm wondering that if before my 50k warranty is over I should drop my car off at the dealer and have them look into some of these squeaks and rattles.
Does anyone have experience with Audi dealing with this to any measure of success of late?
I'm worried about:
1) This might be a waste of time
2) I haven't isolated the rattles out, they seem a bit elusive and the dealer may blow me off
3) If they start messing around with the center console the rattles might just get worse

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to know.
Thanks
-Deeps
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, buy an extended warranty. All German cars become very expensive to repair when something goes wrong out of warranty. And the chances are high that they will. Secondly, the chance that the techs will find the source of the rattles is low. But get it in there and have them try.At least you will have it documented if it turns out to be something significant in the future
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am personally pleased that I don't hear any squeaks or rattles at all inside my S4. Maybe things got a little better in the second model year.

From previous experience with other car makes, the techs don't do a good job isolating and fixing rattles. They seem to all have lost their hearing! I know service departments hate working on squeaks because they need to use two techs to find the problem, one to drive and one to push and poke at things.

If the squeaks are bad and annoy you, I would suggest you have someone else drive your car for a few miles with you riding shotgun. Try to isolate the sounds by pushing on various trim pieces to make the sounds stop. If you can find the exact problem, then you have a chance of getting them fixed.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my front passenger side B&O speaker rattle probably around 10k miles.

It was intermittent, as it would come and go, but the dealership took a look at it anyway. I did some research and provided them with a TSB number and they did the work but the issued remained, unfortunately.

Took it a second time, and they opened up the panel again and tried to isolate and fix the problem, but the rattle came back.

They did if I were to come back a 3rd time, to make sure its the rattle is happening so they can justify ordering a new speaker. Alas, thats what happened.

I came in with the rattle and they ordered and eventually installed a new speaker. They did say if I heard a rattle on any of the other speakers, considering what I've been through, they would simply just order a new one.

It is annoying, I know, but I see their dilemma. Some rattles may be fixable through insulation techniques whereas others require all new parts. It is just nice to know now that, one, my rattle is gone for good (hopefully! haha), and two, they would simply order me new speakers if something ever came up with another speaker.

That said, I think you should be very specific in the rattle(s) you are having and where. Maybe take a soundclip or video of it occurring if it comes and goes. Or have the technician go out on a test drive with you so you can point it out.

God luck!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

I have had my 2011 in for door rattles a few times under warranty, the dealer usually stuffs shims under the panels to reduce the rattling. My most common door rattle is the aluminum trim near the top. It still rattles sometimes.

Rattles tend to be worse, when the car interior is very cold, since the pliant material reducing the rattle, gets less compliant.

The side fuse doors can rattle, if not seated properly (there is a thin rubber gasket around the mating periphery).

Since rattles are intermittant, it is very hard to get them fixed at the dealer, but one should try anyway.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think that squeaks and rattles are only covered up to 12 months/5000 miles, at least that's what my Service Dept. told me.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
I think that squeaks and rattles are only covered up to 12 months/5000 miles, at least that's what my Service Dept. told me.
Hmm...I'm not sure about that.

Maybe its my dealer, but I got a speaker rattle, which turned out to be a faulty speaker, resolved at ~13k miles after owning the car for about 13 months.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by brooklyn86
Hmm...I'm not sure about that.

Maybe its my dealer, but I got a speaker rattle, which turned out to be a faulty speaker, resolved at ~13k miles after owning the car for about 13 months.
Maybe they covered you because it was a faulty speaker? I took in my last B8 for a dash rattle and was told it was out of warranty.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm convinced that SOP for a dealership "investigating" errant noises involves parking the car for 3 hours then telling you they couldn't replicate what you were describing.

My old A4 had a dash rattle that drove me INSANE. I took it in several times under warranty but they never found it.

If my S4 ever develops creaks or rattles I'll be seriously bummed. I have very sensitive hearing.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Folks, its really simple about squeaks and rattles.

Technicians don't care much about it as Audi does not pay them for it....unless a part needs to be replaced. You can chase after rattles for hours or days and get paid little to nothing for it.

Service departments are under pressure to turn hours. So the "cannot find or replicate" it is an often said line.

I've recoded errant squeaks and rattles on my iPhone, and that can be a huge help in showing a technician what you're having to live with.

Quick Reply: 2010 S4 Squeaks and Rattles, warranty almost up. Advice