S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S4 Tires.

Hello all,
Michelin Super Sport Summer tires where on it when I purchased it. They where some really nice looking and handling tires. In the Rain they seemed pretty good and solid. BUT going from a Summer to winter tires as the seasons change, trying to store the other set, buying an entire set of rims and tires just seemed like a pain especially where I live as it doesn't snow that much each year. A few inches here and there so I decided to go with a All season tire in the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. Let me tell you from the moment the car moved forward from the Tire shop I could tell the difference in how the car felt. Just turning the wheel at parking lot speeds you noticed a huge difference. Once we got on the road and started driving it was clear these tires where totally different. The Handling was amazing. I thought a loss in overall contact to the road was gonna be given up due to the awesomeness of the Super Sport Summer tires. Not the case. I actually think these DWS tires are slightly better. Now comfort? Guys let me tell you the car is 100% more satisfying to drive with these tires over the Super Sports by a lot. It's like someone softened the suspension and tightened it up all in one breath. It doesn't make any sense but I think these are hands down a much better tire and I didn't think that before we made the decision to go with them as All seasons Michelin tires where on the table for the set.
We drove around in S turns, On ramps, straight line , braking Super Hard throttle all felt better. It makes no sense why these tires would even compare tot he Super Sports but I'll be totally honest we will never go back to a summer tire.
Around here in PA it rains a lot and a good rain tire is a must. We have all seasons. I think many people put to much stock in summer tires. I can see if you live somewhere where the weather is terrible in the winter where winter tires are a must which in that case winter tires always out perform even the best all season tires. But if you can find a happy medium with a awesome set of all seasons it's absolutely the best of both worlds.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.
The Michelins are a harder compound and provide a less comfortable ride. Yes they handle excellent and corner like the car is stuck to the ground. But I didn't notice a loss in overall traction with the Conti DSW 06. I felt the car still felt stuck to the ground even at higher speeds around corners using the throttle. The S4 has the upgraded performance axle and it's a top of the line Prestige model. 19 inch wheels etc.
I personally think the Conti's are the best overall tire for this car in my area which is Eastern PA. The Super Sports very well maybe a better summer tire in warm weather but I'll gladly give up some of that track ready performance for Comfort ride and not having to change out tires when it gets colder.
People can flame all they want, I'm cool with that. I've been building race cars since the 80's and have had plenty of street rides. Tires I think comes down to a personal opinion not just cold hard facts. Your area and road conditions really help dictate which tires are the best for you. I'm no road racer I like to have fun on back roads which no one is around and I don't street race or anything like that. I do like to head down to our local 1/4 track and pull off some ET's.
I think the Conti's are an excellent tire and perform close enough for me to the Michelins that I don't miss them for anything at all. I'd never buy another set as this area it rains way to much and we have crappy weather more then nice dry warm fun to drive days. So I'n my opinion for me they are a much better tire. Not facts just my personal preference opinion.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 AM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do you!

D Huns, thanks for sharing your opinion! It looks like you and GP have hit the main issues regarding a major division along party lines: Dedicated vs All Season tires!

I'm glad that recognizing each individual's opinion as the most important consideration needed to help him/her decide the best tire type for their needs and preferences was mentioned in your discussion! Having traction is typically taken for granted when thinking about tires. Other (personally) important factors begin to take over the choice of what to do - money, space, driving conditions, and driving styles will begin to chip away at the idea that we all want the best traction possible.

IF I didn't see large snowfall totals several times every winter, hot summers, AND did not have room for a second set of wheels/tires, I'd be Mr All Season! I am happy to be able to enjoy the limits of what my S4 can do with tires made for the seasonal extremes that I experience! I know to dial it back if/when conditions are not optimal - snow, gravel, rain, dirt, poor visibility, etc. Give me traction please, summer & winter! What is the priority of every driver? Comfort, quietness, tread life, and/or convenience can make a tire shine for some but would not do for others! (Armor All may still be needed!)

D GP, we know you love your Sports Diff and you're not a fan of AudiWorld (because there isn't enough traffic?). Why are you steering people away AND still visiting yourself! (Didn't use a ? because I really don't want an answer).
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QS4

D GP, we know you love your Sports Diff and you're not a fan of AudiWorld (because there isn't enough traffic?). Why are you steering people away AND still visiting yourself! (Didn't use a ? because I really don't want an answer).
He's not steering them away; he's merely giving them good advice.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

We live in rural suburb in NEPA. Much of our regular driving is on narrow hilly two lane back roads. We also have a long steep driveway through the woods.

Performance 19" summers came on our new 2016 bought in October. This car wasn't driven at all in snow the 1st winter. The summers were worn out by 7k miles of average/easy driving. I will never buy them again. I resent Audi forcing them as only choice on some wheel size/ models and not offering an A/S alternative, but it demonstrates Audis dislike for A/S year round use in all situations. Neither summer perf nor worn A/S pretend to be winter tires.

I use Blizzaks/winter wheels in January-March and dismount them as soon as possible to minimize tread wear. I like my DWS06 the rest of the year. They were sorta good enough in the first mild winter with <50% tread wear, during light to moderate snow, etc... BUT even then, not nearly comparable to good winters, like Blizzaks, in inclement weather.

IME(xperience) "inclement" varies widely by situational specifics including: roads condition, status of plowing/treatment, type and depth of precip, accumulation rate, temperature, elevation, incline, daylight/lighting, vehicle speed, trip urgency and distance driven, traffic density, safety margin, driver skill and care, time of year. etc. ...and in difficult conditions even fresh DWS or other A/S tire (depending on tread type and wear) can be borderline dangerous. Yes, difficult/severe situations may happen a couple... maybe two - three times in any winter...or not at all... but sometimes they can happen often and at the worst of times.

IF the objective is to "get by" (saving money and time) and the various conditional parameters mentioned are favorable most of the time, A/S may suffice... most of the time. You pays your money and takes your chances...but also to some degree,it affects the chances of others with whom you share the roads. It only takes one "good" accident in a lifetime to negate any perceived "savings".

I've lived in multiple areas of the Northeast over the years, often traveling in winter...in a wide range of conditions and situations. I've used 4 quality winter tires on winter wheels for many years on many cars, including quite a few AWDs (two Audis). Before modern rubber compound/design winter tires and AWD, I often used studded winter tires (which I still regard as excellent in winter weather...but not great on dry roads). Despite the biannual cost and inconvenience, I have never regretted these choices.

My winter tires are mounted roughly from January through March (specific on/off dates depend on weather and my driveway). The S4 wasn't driven in the first winter so a set of new Blizzaks sat in the garage while I drove our Subaru and trusty ol' 98 A4 the first winter...both with winter tires/wheels of course. The 2nd winter, with moderate snow, it was the Sube (again with snow tires). The S4 came out, when the weather permitted, still ON DWS06...with a few thousand miles wear. Winter 3 (just passed), the DWS were marginal for winter use here with about 10k miles of use. The Blizzaks went on, the S4 got used a lot in snow, and the combo performed excellently, as expected.

The DWS are back on the car and will be replaced soon at about 16k miles of use. If pushed they might last to 20k...but will be light/non-winter use at that point . I am satisfied with this tread wear given their excellent performance.

P.S. If you prefer driving on half or more worn DWS (up north), I hope we don't pass each other in true winter conditions...and I like the sports-diff .

Last edited by huskyz; 06-17-2019 at 03:34 AM.