S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2013 S4 vs 335i lease (May) Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S4 vs 335i lease (May) Comparison

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am ready to put down my order for a 2013 s4 now that the pricing is out. I am working with Audi of Tysons corner. I have not yet negotiated price but I am shooting for $500 over invoice (is that realistic). With my current config, that price would be $55k (Roughly the same as a fully loaded 335i sport line).

Now to my question about leasing.

Considering 36month, 12k miles lease based on rates for May (I understand the Audi no.'s are for 2012 model but still). I am not taking into account any terms of lease, service or other charges. Just working from cap cost no. of 55k for both cars.

Audi MF and Residual .00044 (1.056%)and 56%
BMW MF and Residual .00190 (4.560%)and 63%

If I do the numbers based on just these facts the monthly payments are as follows:

Audi $709/month
BMW $735/month

So it seems Audi and BMW are pretty comparable. Audi Residual is pretty low at first glance but so is their MF. Now I don't know how those numbers will change by the time my car is delivered but so far looks pretty good.

Can someone confirm that I am not over simplifying the Math here... And also when do you talk these numbers? At time of placing order or when the car arrives, cause I recon when the car does get here it would be pretty hard to negotiate the terms... Thoughts comments?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Be more than happy to help you with the numbers but would need a little more info. What State are you in so taxes can be calculated? Are you transferring a tag? Each car configuration to enable me to calculate invoice for each of the vehicles and determine if there are any incentives.

Are you trading in a vehicle?

The question about negotiating pricing is tough if you ask me. In all honesty a salesman can truly determine the right numbers unless they get the call back from the bank. All numbers are based on speculation that you have XXX Tier Credit and so on.

If the vehicle is financed through AFS then some of those numbers are set and wont be changed if you fall into the correct tier structure. Hope that helps a little in answering your questions
Old 05-18-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

the problem is that the lease rates will only apply for the current month. it may change by the time your car is delivered. beyond that, who knows what will be applicable for 2013 models.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sendmeone
Be more than happy to help you with the numbers but would need a little more info. What State are you in so taxes can be calculated? Are you transferring a tag? Each car configuration to enable me to calculate invoice for each of the vehicles and determine if there are any incentives.

Are you trading in a vehicle?

The question about negotiating pricing is tough if you ask me. In all honesty a salesman can truly determine the right numbers unless they get the call back from the bank. All numbers are based on speculation that you have XXX Tier Credit and so on.

If the vehicle is financed through AFS then some of those numbers are set and wont be changed if you fall into the correct tier structure. Hope that helps a little in answering your questions
State is VA.
I am possibly going to trade in my 2006 G35 (Car max offered $16k for it but I expect to get atleast $17k or $18k if I find a private seller - I have heard that sometimes it is not worth it to sell to private party for a small difference, due to taxes?? Can someone explain that theory).

S4 config - stronic, premium plus, MMI, advanced key, bang & oflusen, 19" wheels, sports diff, adaptive suspension, nappa leather, ss inlays. Invoice on this is 55,500k~

Like I said, looking at 36month,12k lease

Note: BMW config was just reference. basically a fully loaded 335i on BMW configurator at 56k MSRP.

Let me know what other data you need. I have not really gotten started talking to dealer yet on the lease. So I guess that doesn't happen till car is delivered.

My credit score is excellent.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr Kram
the problem is that the lease rates will only apply for the current month. it may change by the time your car is delivered. beyond that, who knows what will be applicable for 2013 models.
You can lock the lease rate for like 90 days.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kasher_khan

Audi MF and Residual .00044 (1.056%)and 56%
BMW MF and Residual .00190 (4.560%)and 63%

If I do the numbers based on just these facts the monthly payments are as follows:

Audi $709/month
BMW $735/month
I like Audi's low interest rate, paying 4.56% interest nowdays feels like a sucker.

And if you have any possibility / intention of keeping the car after 3 years, a much lower residual rate helps too. Just imagine that you will be paying about 5K more for the leased 335 if you wanna keep it. This way works for BMW as majority of 3 series drivers who lease don't keep their cars I guess.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

State is VA.
I am possibly going to trade in my 2006 G35 (Car max offered $16k for it but I expect to get atleast $17k or $18k if I find a private seller - I have heard that sometimes it is not worth it to sell to private party for a small difference, due to taxes?? Can someone explain that theory).
That is a tricky question and I hope to answer it to the best of my ability. The only way that you will save taxes is if you are buying and trading the car into Carmax. I will also confirm that not ALL states give you this break. The following states are the ones that I know will give you the tax break on the purchase of the new car from Carmax:
  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

Example: Lets say you are selling your $10k vehicle to Carmax and you have paid 6% of taxes already on that car and you are considering a new vehicle of $15k, the first $10k of the vehicle are not considered in your tax calculations but the remaining $5k are. Hopes this clarifies your question
Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

kasher_khan, will you be giving a down payment on this lease? I hope not...
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

State is VA.

S4 config - stronic, premium plus, MMI, advanced key, bang & oflusen, 19" wheels, sports diff, adaptive suspension, nappa leather, ss inlays. Invoice on this is 55,500k~

Like I said, looking at 36month,12k lease

Note: BMW config was just reference. basically a fully loaded 335i on BMW configurator at 56k MSRP.

Let me know what other data you need. I have not really gotten started talking to dealer yet on the lease. So I guess that doesn't happen till car is delivered.

My credit score is excellent.
Considering what you stated here is what I come up with:
  • Audi / $744.84 (Estimated with Taxes Included)
  • BMW / $649.08 (Estimated with Taxes Included) This was quoted at $56,970 MSRP, Invoice at $52,375 nicely equipped to match the Audi specs.

This does NOT include any loyalty or incentives, where I saw that you did not make a fair comparison was you priced out the Audi at Invoice and the BMW at MSRP. Even though you have a higher interest on the BMW, the residual value of the car is much more significant then the Audi. We are assuming that the money factor and residual of the Audi wont change much from May's buy rates on a 2012 Audi.

Hope this helps you out a bit further into your decision making.

Good Luck
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I will get the actual no.'s from the dealer on Monday and post them here.

Quick Reply: 2013 S4 vs 335i lease (May) Comparison