S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

6MT has a "catch" when shifting into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6MT has a "catch" when shifting into 2nd gear

hi folks!

i've got a 2013 6MT which i bought in december 2016 with 65k miles with current CPO coverage.

i didn't notice it at first, but after a week or so of driving it i realized that if i push the shifter "too far" toward me when shifting into second gear, it seems to catch on something and prevents a clean shift. i've never experienced this in any other manual transmission i've driven - is this common with the B8? it happens both when shifting from 1st to 2nd and also can happen from 3rd to 2nd. so long as i pull STRAIGHT back it has a nice shift. it seems like the shift linkage is getting caught on a sharp corner that should be a rounded corner.

a little more info that might be of interest:
* there is an after market shift ****, but i pulled the center console up and there doesn't appear to be any loose washers or anything between the leather boot and the covered rubber boot, suggesting that the catch/hitch is inside the rubber boot.
* i very recently had the whole transmission & clutch replaced under CPO due to an internal bearing (thank you CPO). the catch/hitch was there prior to replacement and is still there now.

anybody else experience this? i am trying to determine if this is a "known issue" or if i should be able to get my CPO to address it...

thanks so much!!
Old 07-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar
hi folks!

i've got a 2013 6MT which i bought in december 2016 with 65k miles with current CPO coverage.

i didn't notice it at first, but after a week or so of driving it i realized that if i push the shifter "too far" toward me when shifting into second gear, it seems to catch on something and prevents a clean shift. i've never experienced this in any other manual transmission i've driven - is this common with the B8? it happens both when shifting from 1st to 2nd and also can happen from 3rd to 2nd. so long as i pull STRAIGHT back it has a nice shift. it seems like the shift linkage is getting caught on a sharp corner that should be a rounded corner.

* there is an after market shift ****, but i pulled the center console up and there doesn't appear to be any loose washers or anything between the leather boot and the covered rubber boot, suggesting that the catch/hitch is inside the rubber boot.
* i very recently had the whole transmission & clutch replaced under CPO due to an internal bearing (thank you CPO). the catch/hitch was there prior to replacement and is still there now.

anybody else experience this? i am trying to determine if this is a "known issue" or if i should be able to get my CPO to address it...

thanks so much!!
It sounds like it could be a shift linkage problem. I remember back in the B6 S4 days that you could eliminate the so called catch by pulling the shifter toward the driver when you shifted 1/2. But you seem to say that is when you notice it most. simple solution is not to do that and make sure you apply downward and outward pressure to the shifter when shifting 1/2 or otherwise. . This has not been an issue with the b8s
Old 03-01-2023, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default B8 S4 6MT shift linkage movement inconsistently good

6MT after a bumpy turn 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd to 2nd "catch" when shifting ...it will go away a bit then come back .it happens more often lately
Old 03-01-2023, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I've dealing with a similar issue...by any chance did you resolve the problem

Originally Posted by sonar
hi folks!

thanks so much!!