S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Advanced key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
BTW, I'm currently in a G35 too, and REALLY love the intelligent key features. What are your thoughts on doing without the Advanced Key vs. bumping up to Prestige?
Agree with WatchNut right above, that alone certainly wouldn't have me moving to Prestige just for that. However, along with some other options, it is certainly a consideration. I'm in my mid 40s, so I've opened door cars and started my engine the old fashioned way for a long time. I certainly do like the modern convenience that our G35s offer in terms of those tasks at the same time!

The way Audi bundles its options is funky and frankly I don't understand it all and why they do it...seems like certain things are available at P+ level and not at Prestige, sort of backwards.

I'm not looking to buy a MY2010 S4, I'm a year, perhaps two, out from buying. I really like my G quite a lot, the performance, sound (for a 6 cylinder the thing has some solid groan) so I'm not at all feeling the need to move out of it anytime soon. It's more basic in its engineering and very reliable (knock on wood), so I'm sticking with it for the time being...when I do buy a new car I'm looking at either the S4 or possibly another G.

Someone wrote on one of these boards in the last day or two that they wonder why we buy cars with such powerful engines (as the S4) and drive them mostly on our speed limited roads. In part it's that concept that has me still thinking about another G as frankly it's certainly quite a lot of fun and more power than one needs already. That being said I understand these cars at this level are not about need, more about how much fun one has with the car of their choice...otherwise we'd all be driving Corollas, er, Civics I mean...OK cheap shot!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
To me....not having the intelligent key was an incredibly minor thing, and was certainly not worth bumping up to the Prestige package in order to get it. My thumbs work fine, and pushing a button on a key fob a few times a day isn't a big deal.
;-)
I agree with Watchnut here. To me, it was a minor issue. The only reason I'd really want to the Prestige was to get the memory seats, but the extra cost doesn't seem worth it. Also, the auto-dimming mirrors weren't an issue for me since I was going to tint the windows anyway.

The bonus for the Premium+ is that you also get the Rearview Camera for the Navigation. It's odd that on the Prestige you can only get that with the Driver Assist Package. I never really thought I'd care much for the camera, but now that I have it, I find it really useful, even for parallel parking since it has a neat parallel parking feature giving you a gauge of the size of the spot and where you should be turning to best fit in one move. Neat stuff.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Canada the package between premium VS basic is very minor. The only options that is not available on the basic is full ADS and B&O.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WatchNut
To me....not having the intelligent key was an incredibly minor thing, and was certainly not worth bumping up to the Prestige package in order to get it. My thumbs work fine, and pushing a button on a key fob a few times a day isn't a big deal.
;-)
I have the S4's Prestige package and enjoy not having to fish for the auto key, but frankly I'd rather have the backup camera or sensors. I do like the compass on the rearview mirror as I'd gotten used to it on my '07 A4. I don't need the memory seats, but would like to learn to use the voice-activated Nav & phone some day...(grins)