S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

APR 2+ - CLUTCH ISSUES???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foogie
Guess we need to find out what APR is running on their car. That said, popping any clutch at high RPMs is bound to make any clutch unhappy for a bit. But hey, could be a warranty item at low mileage if we break them right ?
Is the clutch covered under warranty?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had any issues with my stock clutch, and I don't necessarily think the stock clutch is horrible for stock or Stage I+. I do think there is a lot of inconsistency from the factory with our clutch setups. Between loose bolts, bad input seals, flywheels showing up out of spec, I think it's really luck of the draw. If you get a good clutch assembly, you may even be able to hold stage II power on it for a while. If you get a bad one, you may even have trouble with stock power.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I think I remember reading a couple of threads where people have had the dealer look into the clutch and replace some of the parts (if not the whole assembly) of the clutch.

I would suspect depending on the dealership, there may be suspicion or resistance because warranty wouldn't cover wear-and-tear items. And depending on how you drive it, a clutch may fall in that category.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My clutch has held up perfectly since this event, I have tested it in every scenario and it hasn't slipped at all. As long as I slip it for launches it is fine.

My advice would be just don't side step your clutch when you launch it. If you want to spin the wheels with a B8 S4, you cannot do it on dry pavement!!! You will fry your clutch if you do.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've experienced the same issue with my car which has no tune but only when in Dynamic mode. I believe the OEM clutch is not strong enough for the stock engine. With a tune it will just fry.
I have the exact same experience - no engine mods but any sort of launch in 1st gear results in smelly clutch for a while. Took it to the dealership, they basically said 'huh, that's interesting' and suggested an aftermarket clutch upgrade.
Think I'll try another dealership and see if I can get it replaced.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Man I would say that at low mileage if anything went wrong with the clutch a dealership would have difficulty proving misuse like riding the clutch or "sidestepping" it. I don't do either of those because a burning clutch smells terrible and I don't have the $1500 or whatever to keep replacing them. Doesn't make sense being irresponsible with my 50K car.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I would have no problem getting a new clutch under warranty if needed. My good friend is now Service Mgr at the dealership where he used to be GM and where I bought my car. Not everyone else could be so lucky. In fact, he picks my car up, leaves me his car, and takes my car in for service when it needs it.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4CE FED NOGARO
My clutch has held up perfectly since this event, I have tested it in every scenario and it hasn't slipped at all. As long as I slip it for launches it is fine.

My advice would be just don't side step your clutch when you launch it. If you want to spin the wheels with a B8 S4, you cannot do it on dry pavement!!! You will fry your clutch if you do.
odd. With all the torque you guys make basically off idle, you'd think the car could easily spin all 4 and that Audi would give you a reasonably strong clutch. I launched a friends 2012 B8 MT6 car and spun them. Launched by 'sidestepping' from around 3500 rpm. Car ripped away like a raped ape and scared him in the passenger seat. What RPM were you launching from?

Here's how it looks on stock clutch on a stock B7 RS4 and tune/exhaust B7 S4 (with JHM's launch control which is built right into the tune for manual cars). No problem spinning all 4 tires.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoV0lB3g3kE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wdDGPDQ3QI

Last edited by sakimano; 10-01-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I launched it at about 3500 rpm's
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have done this a once or twice. One time I was trying to show off for my pops while pulling a U-Turn. Had it in high revs, wheels broke loose with no ESC (because of the turning), but after 1st gear, second just slipped. Reeked for an hour.

Full APR Stage II+ on a 2014 S4 with less than 4K miles. (6MT)

No real long term damage (hopefully), outside of some premature wear and tear. Seems like the clutch is now worn in or broken in, which likely would have taken a several months/miles.

Sucks. Live and learn.

As for warranty claims, In my B8 A5 I was stuck in a snow bank. I let a girl who said she knew how to drive a stick, drive it out while me and my buddy pushed. She rode the clutch till it damn near caught fire. It was smoking for hours.

Audi replaced the clutch and other parts free of charge.