S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B8 S4 vs. Chevy SS Redux

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B8 S4 vs. Chevy SS Redux

Hi. New member here. I am currently considering either a B8.5 S4 or a used Chevy SS. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I have read the previous threads on this topic, but they seem pretty stale and I'm wondering if there are any new perspectives.

For reference, I had a 2001 A4. Great little car, but way underpowered. Had a GTI and loved the DSG transmission, but was maybe a little juvenile for a gray-haired gent such as myself. Currently drive a Pontiac G8 with a 6.0L V8. I love the 365-horse LS motor and independent rear wheel drive, but the transmission is rude-and-crude and the interior is an ocean of cheap black plastic.

The SS is the more powerful car. Is everybody happy with the 333-horse V6? Be honest, now. I know you can add a tune, but you can modify the SS, too. 333 ponies is not very much these days for cars in this price range.

Thanks in advance!

PS Man, there sure are a lot of advertisements posing as posts in this forum.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find the car (2016) and stock drive train (DSG) a pleasure to drive. It isn't 'perfect' nor the fastest thing I've owned. It's great in 96% of the circumstances...and the missing 4% isnt worth the day-to-day hassle to me these days.

Among the downsides are it isn't cheap to service and I find the seats less comfortable than I like (but leather the interior is classy and a seat pad helps). I never had a perfect car...

This is my 2nd Audi, 4th German, 6th European, and a bunch of Asians. I haven't owned a US car since my '70 Z-28...and likely never will again, though I had quite a few nice ones back in the day.

Give the Audi a test drive and see how it fits you. It isn't for everyone.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. My ideal-but-realistic car would combine the power of my G8 with the fun-to-drive factor of my old GTI and the luxury features of my wife's Volvo.The S4 might just do the trick!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DynoD
Thanks for the responses. My ideal-but-realistic car would combine the power of my G8 with the fun-to-drive factor of my old GTI and the luxury features of my wife's Volvo.The S4 might just do the trick!
Well...DrGP and others will have opinions and suggestions but IMO the S4 should (easily?) equal or better that criteria...........If you do drive one, let us know what you thought.

Remember that there are some options that may matter (e.g. most folks love the sport differential. In fact many consider it a must have. Color/interior/wheels will differ, electronics vary from year to year, optional sound systems, suspensions etc. so when you find cars you like, determine what equipment they have and what you want/prioritize). Also some items are standard on the Premium Plus and Prestige sub-models and this may vary by year. Also, if it is a pre-owned car, the CPO warranty may make sense.

Do your homework before you buy. This and other Audi fora are good places to look as well as factory specs and road tests etc.