S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bluetooth Streaming Audio MMI upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Streaming Audio MMI upgrade?

Can anyone tell me if this "Bluetooth Streaming Audio" MMI upgrade is required if i have a third (3rd) generation MMI systems (Note: the new 2010 Q5 & 2010 S4 both use the new third generation MMI systems)?

thanks
-j
Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Minor update:

I spoke with my dealer and the update in question isn't compatible with v3 of the MMI system. He couldn't confirm whether v3 has streaming capabilities included already so the questions remains...

Does anyone know if v3 of MMI can stream audio via bluetooth?

-j
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove a 2010 S4 at the dealer yesterday and asked the same question. He said he didn't think bluetooth audio streaming was supported. I didn't poke around the menus to check though.

Originally Posted by JohnMclean
Minor update:

I spoke with my dealer and the update in question isn't compatible with v3 of the MMI system. He couldn't confirm whether v3 has streaming capabilities included already so the questions remains...

Does anyone know if v3 of MMI can stream audio via bluetooth?

-j
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've continued to searching through v3 of the MMI system but can't seem to find any hint of streaming over bluetooth. That said, i don't (yet) have a device that can stream via bluetooth so it's hard to say what features might suddenly appear if i paired a device with streaming capabilities. The conundrum at this point is that I can't resolve the issues without a device capable of streaming yet i don't want to buy one until i'm sure that it will work.
<O
Any suggestions?<O</O

-j
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default nope

I dont know of any car with this ability. They want you to use an ipod, duh
Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnMclean
[COLOR=#222222]I've continued to searching through v3 of the MMI system but can't seem to find any hint of streaming over bluetooth. That said, i don't (yet) have a device that can stream via bluetooth so it's hard to say what features might suddenly appear if i paired a device with streaming capabilities. The conundrum at this point is that I can't resolve the issues without a device capable of streaming yet i don't want to buy one until i'm sure that it will work.
Two comments:

#1 - if you're concerned about which phone to buy, stick to something super-popular like a BlackBerry or iPhone. All the new blackberries stream music through bluetooth, and work pretty well. I think the iPhones do too.

#2 - On Ford Sync you control and start it from the phone. On the stereo you just change to the bluetooth source or something. It only shows up when you've paired a capable phone. Unfortunately you have to try it to know for sure.

Why does nobody at Audi know for sure if this works? My guess : because it doesn't.

I will be in a 2010 S4 again late this week, and will see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Comso
Two comments:

#1 - if you're concerned about which phone to buy, stick to something super-popular like a BlackBerry or iPhone. All the new blackberries stream music through bluetooth, and work pretty well. I think the iPhones do too.

#2 - On Ford Sync you control and start it from the phone. On the stereo you just change to the bluetooth source or something. It only shows up when you've paired a capable phone. Unfortunately you have to try it to know for sure.

Why does nobody at Audi know for sure if this works? My guess : because it doesn't.

I will be in a 2010 S4 again late this week, and will see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know.
my blackberry bold synched via bluetooth in minutes on setup.

the car telephone controls are always ready to dial from directory and receive but it takes a few minutes before the memory of dialed numbers, call lists, etc to be available.

sounds quality is solid
Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fabolous
I dont know of any car with this ability. They want you to use an ipod, duh
mazda cx-9 and toyota venza can do it.... but there are few devices out there that can do it (iphone being one of them)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, im surprised a bit actually. Japanese cars seem to always get the good electronic goodies a long while before the Germans. Oh well...

Im still willing to bet a large amount of money the audi BT system doesnt support it
Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fabolous
Wow, im surprised a bit actually. Japanese cars seem to always get the good electronic goodies a long while before the Germans. Oh well...

Im still willing to bet a large amount of money the audi BT system doesnt support it
Japanese? My buddy's two year old Ford has Bluetooth Audio!

I just stopped at a local dealer who has an S4 in the show room and tried it. I sync'd my phone, and tried everything I could think of. The phone reported that it paired with the car as a handsfree, but didn't list the A2DP stuff it would need for audio.

For my needs, that's confirmation that it doesn't do it.

Maybe an update?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Audio MMI upgrade?