S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Brake dust

The brake dust on this S4 is the worst of any Audi I've ever had. I guess the rumor of an updated (possibly ceramic) pad for the 2012s was unfounded. I'm going to try the well reviewed armor-all wheel protectant. It claims to last a month...wheel see.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with the Armor All for about three weeks. By the fourth week, some brake dust is visible. The spray goes on easily. One can will protect the peelers roughly twice.

I tried a "professional" nanosealant and had terrible results. What a huge waste of $.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
I have had good luck with the Armor All for about three weeks. By the fourth week, some brake dust is visible. The spray goes on easily. One can will protect the peelers roughly twice.

I tried a "professional" nanosealant and had terrible results. What a huge waste of $.
+1 for that armor all wheel protectant, works great got 2 weeks out of it including driving 18 miles on a dirt road out to the grand canyon skywalk
Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451

Agreed. I have used multiple wheel protectants (Swissvax and Prima) and Armor-All has performed the best. Despite the brand generally being crap, they hit the nail right on the head with this one.

Make sure the wheel is dry and cleaned to perfection before applying it. It will make the next cleaning easy as cake.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gk1
The brake dust on this S4 is the worst of any Audi I've ever had.
When the OEM pads wear out, try these (essentially NO dust):

http://tinyurl.com/6gb2uh5
Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the wheel protecting sprays are a band-aid and don't really address the root cause of the issue - brake pads.

I changed to stoptech Street Performance (and Posi-Quiet rears) and had much less dust, and more initial bite. My silver wheels don't turn gun metal in 3 days with these pads (it'll take 2-3 weeks for it to get to that same amount of dust I would have had a few days on the OEM pads).
Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
The brake dust on this S4 is the worst of any Audi I've ever had.
Amen to that. While I appreciate the braking power, the dust is ridiculous. My previous car's factory Brembo's weren't half as bad.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
I think the wheel protecting sprays are a band-aid and don't really address the root cause of the issue - brake pads.

I changed to stoptech Street Performance (and Posi-Quiet rears) and had much less dust, and more initial bite. My silver wheels don't turn gun metal in 3 days with these pads (it'll take 2-3 weeks for it to get to that same amount of dust I would have had a few days on the OEM pads).
Do you think these are a better track-day pad than the stockers, or just produce less dust? I'll be running stock pads at Quattrofest but will likely need new pads shortly after
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeoR604
Do you think these are a better track-day pad than the stockers, or just produce less dust? I'll be running stock pads at Quattrofest but will likely need new pads shortly after
i was thinking about the stoptech posiquiet semi-metalics for daily driving

cant tolerate squeak and definitely hate dust
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LeoR604
They worked well for the first two track days but I totally melted them on the last one... Stoptech rep said probably because the material was worn down and thus had a lower thermal capacity (and overheated). Also I pushed my car pretty hard on the last one. Perhaps Brandonb can comment on stock pads.

Splattered all over my wheels (Sonax FTW!):

toasted:

I did get glazing on the rotors though on the two prior track events.

I just got my Carbotech pads which should take care of any fade issues (and a Stoptech ST-60 will be going on next week)...

ST-60 pad:

Quick Reply: Brake dust