S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adbender
i was thinking about the stoptech posiquiet semi-metalics for daily driving

cant tolerate squeak and definitely hate dust
The Stoptech pads definitely have way less dust. You'll definitely like em.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same issue with my BMW. The fact is the softer the pad the better stopping power you get, shorter life with more dust. The harder the pad the longer the life, less dust and less stopping.

Also the soft pads save the rotors, quieter and give you that velvet pedal.

I changed to harder pads your cleaning improves but you get more noise, rotors get hot and wear unevenly etc. I went back to the OEm's and dealt with the dust.
Nice to know there is a protectant out there to help in that regard
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been running ceramic pads on stock rotors for the last 40,000 miles on my BMW X5 (e53). No noise, great stopping power, no rotor problems INCREDIBLY CLEANER WHEELS.

I have recently switched to Hawk Ceramic pads on both my 2011 S4 and 2012 Q7 while I was barely past the break-in period. I now have around 1000 miles on them for each vehicle. So far I am equally pleased...no noise, great stopping power and pedal feel, no rotor issues and INCREDIBLY CLEANER WHEELS.

I am interested to see if there is any noticable impact to braking or noise with the coming cold weather over winter...but if they're anything like the AXXIS pads in my X5 I'm not concerned.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
The Stoptech pads definitely have way less dust. You'll definitely like em.
thanks dude..they were recommended by my shop.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you swap the rotors after you cooked the pads? That bright rust usually means they were really really hot? If not any vibrations or issues so far?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it changes color under high temperature (the rotos). No vibrations or anything though. Rotors are still on there but won't be for long (Stoptech ST-60 355 BBK will be going on in a few days).

The pad however looks like it started chunking/breaking apart (looks very "rough" and there was that discolored portion as well).
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default how much life are you getting from the stock rotors / pads?

How much life are you guys getting from the front stock rotors and pads? any idea who makes them for the s4s? are they audi's own?

I am hating the brake dust after 1200 miles. The rims are dirty after a short day of driving. I just got the armor all spray that folks mentioned, see how that works.

I had axxis ultimates on my acura and switched to the hawk performance, by far the best performance and low dust I have found. for those of you that have switched pads/rotors, where do you get the work done? dealer? local shop?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rav6370
How much life are you guys getting from the front stock rotors and pads? any idea who makes them for the s4s? are they audi's own?

I am hating the brake dust after 1200 miles. The rims are dirty after a short day of driving. I just got the armor all spray that folks mentioned, see how that works.

I had axxis ultimates on my acura and switched to the hawk performance, by far the best performance and low dust I have found. for those of you that have switched pads/rotors, where do you get the work done? dealer? local shop?
The armor ball spray helps but still lots of brake dust? Is this common with the stock pads?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not 100% sure, but are our cars equipped with the front brake bad wear sensors like the B6/B7. Do the pads come with wear sensors?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rav6370
The armor ball spray helps but still lots of brake dust? Is this common with the stock pads?
In a word, yes.

The stock pads dust worse than any I've ever used. That's why I replaced mine with Wearever Golds (got them from Advance Auto Parts).

Good performance, NO dust, and cheap. ($70 for the front set).

Quick Reply: Brake dust