S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brake upgrade recommendations please..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, and based on what the OP has said so far, any big brake kit is a little bit of overkill.

It seems he primarily wants to get rid of the brake squeak. To fix that all he has to do is change the pads. He could go with a set of ceramic pads which will reduce/eliminate the squeaking and will also reduce brake dust significantly. I can't comment about performance difference from the OEM pads, but unless he is doing an HPDE on a high-speed track (think VIR when they have the full track open), then he doesn't need an overly aggressive pad.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DustinS
atombomb33, I'm glad to hear you say that, because I was thinking the same thing. Regarding the budget, I would start to cringe if things started to get above $2,500. But I'd really like to get it fixed... so that number is flexible.
Check the post I just made - I think a BBK is overkill for you based on what you've said in this thread. Find a really good set of ceramic pads and you'll be set.

Scroll through this thread. There are some brake pad options featured and discussed. This will get you started. Talk to other vendors to get some other options.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Upgrade-Guide

Last edited by atombomb33; 12-28-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are tracking the car and driving hard a whole upgraded brake kit is a waste of money. Now if you have money to waste they are cool and look great but even an upgraded whole kit can have some of the same issues you are talikng about.

In all my racing time and expereicne in race and rally and testing brake products I would go Brembo no questions asked but be prepared to pay.

Or listen to prior posts and upgrade a few things. You need to re investigate the real source of your problem and do the things that will actually remedy it.

If you simply want to throw dollars at it go brembo and enjoy.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll take a look at really good ceramic pads... but I guess that's where it complicates things. I occasionally (once or twice a year) like to track it. And with the OEM setup, after 4 or 5 laps at VIR I start to feel the backend wobble during heavy braking. So during the upgrade process, I was hoping to have something that's *at least* as good as what's on there now.

I'll take a look at the Brembo and StopTech. Maybe I'm over-complicating it, but it seems pretty often the B8 isn't listed as a supporting model on BBKs. For instance, on the StopTech ST40 does show as being supported (http://www.raceshopper.com/stoptech_...ake_kits.shtml). And with regards to BBK, do folks normally have spacers added to support the wheels? Does adding spacers impact the handling in a negative way? (sigh)

UmIsThisThingOn, definitely let me know how the StopTech's work out for you.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you want performance rotors, go with www.cquence.net. You really can't go wrong with them with the price.

Whenever I see threads like these, I always recommend them. I have there Ultimate and Phantom series rotors on minds and my wife's car. Also used got the Posi Quiet ceramic brake pads.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer is fitting a whole retrofit kit to mine to eliminate the squeal. It goes in this Wednesday, ill pull the parts numbers from the invoice and update everyone if it works. Whoever said all hi perf brakes squeak has been sold a line, none of my Porsches or BMWS squeaked, nor any other of the track cars I've been around unless something was wrong.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sdiver68
The dealer is fitting a whole retrofit kit to mine to eliminate the squeal. It goes in this Wednesday, ill pull the parts numbers from the invoice and update everyone if it works. Whoever said all hi perf brakes squeak has been sold a line, none of my Porsches or BMWS squeaked, nor any other of the track cars I've been around unless something was wrong.
Are they doing it under warranty or are you paying them to install the kit? Did they say if the performance of the retro fit kit would be equal to the standard pads? Reason I ask is I could go out tomorrow and buy a set of ceramic pads that won't squeal - but they won't perform as well as the OEM pads in initial bite, overall braking power and fade resistance.

On your point about squealing, there are some types of pad compounds that squeal and there is nothing any manufacturer can do about it other than using differing pad compounds. And the different compounds have pluses and minuses like everything does.

You've never driven in a car with Ferodo pads - have you?

Last edited by atombomb33; 01-22-2012 at 08:54 AM.