S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

CPO warranty coverage from previous ECU flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Agreed.
Thanks guys, my thoughts exactly. I have talked to a lawyer and their advice was to get the number that would make me whole, if the dealer squawks at it, then I should pursue a formal case. I am going to crunch the numbers when I get home and begin the car shopping again.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Having been through a non lemon buyback with another manufacturer, I suggest that you not say the word "lawyer" to them, they will immediately clam up. Check with one, but keep it as reference.

In my situation with Subaru I made a list of every thing I spent, including taxes, DMV fees, payments, maintenance and add on's.

I sent it too them and they took about three weeks to process and sent a check for all of it. I did have to pay a mileage fee. but for 18 months I drove the car for $245. If they balk at anything you could also have them make a deal for a new S4.

How much will they deal? AOA recently, because of a misrepresentation by their customer care group, which they had on record, was offering a S5 to replace my TTS even. I decided not to do it due to state taxation laws. Be nice and they will reciprocate.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wanted to post an update to my situation and once again ask for some thoughts/input.

I went back and forth with the dealer to negotiate my buy out, long story short they were trying to seriously lowball me. I eventually got them close to the number I needed to be whole (within about $1000), however, I refused to take any financial hit so I did not budge. The dealer went silent for about a week and then I got a call from a gentleman I have never spoken to, some CPO manager who said he found another solution.

They were exploring the option to come pick my car up, drop off a loaner, and install a new ECM. This would get my car out of the TD1 game and make this a thing of the past.

I called my Audi customer representative who handles my case, she was never informed of this solution, nor did she think this was even an option Audi would accept. My case was considered closed after the buyout decision. I have her looking into this situation, the dealer is claiming to have received approval from Audi that this ECM replacement would restore my warranty. I will also be asking the dealer who approved this at Audi.

I feel like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me. This does not correct the fact that this car should have never been CPO'd. If they do replace the ECM and Audi approves it, I feel that I should be entitled to a re-certification and possibly an extension to my warranty. My car has been APR tuned since day one and I'm sure the previous owner took full advantage. It seems like the dealer is just trying to find the cheapest possible solution.

Let me know your thoughts...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I'd want it in writing from Audi of America that they will fully restore the CPO warranty if this ECU swap is done. I'm with you - I'd be very suspicious of the dealer.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

It's been over 3 months. Your concerns re the modified car since "day one" are valid and at this point I would suggest you go for the buy-back. Even if you are able to get the CPO warranty validated in writing, do you want the potential headache of further service problems down the road? Also, a CPO warranty is not as inclusive as te original factory warranty - you could very well be faced with non-covered repairs down the road on things not covered.

If you feel that the depreciation settlement offer is unreasonable, it's time for you to re-consult your attorney and see if a demand letter from him to the dealer and AOA is appropriate. Unless you are being unreasonable re the depreciation, you seem to have a strong case; however, the longer this drags on, the more difficult it will be to resolve. If possible, get out, move on to another car from a different dealer and chalk this up to a bad experience. My 2 cents.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ask them why a new ECU would remove all the TD1 issues, i.e. if Audi says chipping ruins a car, why would you want to mask their own indicator of it being chipped?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you been in contact with APR or GIAC to confirm your car was flashed prior to your purchase? This would show the car was flashed prior to your purchase.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
have you been in contact with APR or GIAC to confirm your car was flashed prior to your purchase? This would show the car was flashed prior to your purchase.
He's already confirmed that. See post #24.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
He's already confirmed that. See post #24.
Thanks snagitseven, yes I have the date, 10/27/2010 12:24:50 PM. I also have the gentleman's name. CPO inspection was done on 9/12/12. This guy wasted no time, got it APR tuned less than two months after he bought it. Can't help but chuckle when I think about that, although he screwed my purchase, I think we would get along.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBE B8 S4
I wanted to post an update to my situation and once again ask for some thoughts/input.

I went back and forth with the dealer to negotiate my buy out, long story short they were trying to seriously lowball me. I eventually got them close to the number I needed to be whole (within about $1000), however, I refused to take any financial hit so I did not budge. The dealer went silent for about a week and then I got a call from a gentleman I have never spoken to, some CPO manager who said he found another solution.

They were exploring the option to come pick my car up, drop off a loaner, and install a new ECM. This would get my car out of the TD1 game and make this a thing of the past.

I called my Audi customer representative who handles my case, she was never informed of this solution, nor did she think this was even an option Audi would accept. My case was considered closed after the buyout decision. I have her looking into this situation, the dealer is claiming to have received approval from Audi that this ECM replacement would restore my warranty. I will also be asking the dealer who approved this at Audi.

I feel like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me. This does not correct the fact that this car should have never been CPO'd. If they do replace the ECM and Audi approves it, I feel that I should be entitled to a re-certification and possibly an extension to my warranty. My car has been APR tuned since day one and I'm sure the previous owner took full advantage. It seems like the dealer is just trying to find the cheapest possible solution.

Let me know your thoughts...
Do not take the route of the dealer installing a new ECM for you. Make it clear to them that you do not want a car that had been modified in any way shape or form. Nevermind one that you know was modified and now they are trying to bandaid the situation brought upon by their own mistake. I would not budge from your demanded buyout price, so long as its reasonable of course. Any hesitation from them should prompt you to lawyer it up and be sure to let them know that you will.

I would be disgusted by this dealer at this point for even trying to negotiate the buyout price without offering some type of compensation above and beyond your costs just for the unjust trouble/headaches this has caused you.

I would walk away from the car and make sure they knew that they would never see another dime of your money.

Another bit of advice for them would be to let them know that if they force you to take the litigation route that you would go viral with this story on the interwebs and ruin their reputation. They might "change their tune".

Last edited by FatalBert; 06-10-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: CPO warranty coverage from previous ECU flash