S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dealer Greed or Standard Practice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiealum
OP here: My negotiations weren't over $250. That was another poster. Mine was over $1200, and that's on top of the profit over invoice already offered to me. Not disclosing I had SPP was not intentional. They made their first offers after I filled out a web form. Then I was looking thru work perks and found the SPP. So I brought that up and want to hold them to their original offers. Like you said, they have to run a biz and are not a charity. I did not haggle one bit on their initial offer (all were pretty competitive anyways: <$1K over invoice). Although if I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same thing: I would see what they offered first and then present the SPP. I know the dealers probably weren't happy that they made offers so quickly, but they probably knew I emailed multiple area dealers and no one wanted to lose the sale. I see the SPP as I see Audi Loyalty's $1K rebate: It's for me to use after I negotiate an offer. The dealers were comfortable with the offers they made and I feel I can challenge their integrity if they want more bc I have a rebate. I'm not a charity either. There will be one dealer that I think will have the integrity to accept their offer and give me my rebate. I'm still waiting to get clarity on one offer. I think I am getting the original offer minus the rebate, but I am waiting for them to spell it out before I commit.

I didn't read your novel, but the fact of the matter is-- what you did is totally fine. But you also have to accept the fact that their reaction is just as kosher. This is negotiations, they have the right to counter, getting offended means you already lost.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I agree. The Incentives after invoice usually average hundreds, not thousands per car and are based on lots of variables, i.e. meeting quotas, etc. While it's perfectly fine to negotiate to the best price possible, there's a point at which it's not worth arguing. ... Agonizing over a relatively small amount on such a large purchase makes little sense to me if you really want the car.
It was my post where the $250 came from. My original point was a reply to the member who posted that the dealer makes "thousands" on a sale, and invoice is a farce. My post was meant more as an example of the consumer only having the invoice number as a reference to gauge their price against what others have paid for the same model car.

With that said, I get that it is not worth worrying over $250. However, I would not equate asking the salesperson if they can do $750 over invoice rather than $1,000 over as haggling or agonizing.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're right, I should not have been so surprised. Just figured with the internet and what not, integrity in local businesses would be fairly high.

Originally Posted by well_armed
I didn't read your novel, but the fact of the matter is-- what you did is totally fine. But you also have to accept the fact that their reaction is just as kosher. This is negotiations, they have the right to counter, getting offended means you already lost.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a saying, "You have every right to ask, and they have every right to say no." And, vice-versa.

If you don't ask how will you ever know?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

what is spp?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JackP311
what is spp?
Supplier Purchasing Program which automatically gives you 6% discount if your employer is participant.

http://audisupplier.com
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by legbend
My understanding is that it will be easier to make a deal with a car on the lot as well. The longer the car is on the lot, the more it's costing the dealership.

Not sure if that still holds true for all dealerships though.
It did for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supplier is 6% off MSRP. it's not 6% off a negotiated deal. It really is pretty good pricing. When you use the supplier discount, Audi pays the dealer for around 3% of the 6% discount. loyalty, conquest, etc. can be used in addition to supplier. The rebate to the dealer for giving you supplier pricing is generally not on the table, as it is there to encourage dealers to honor that pricing.

Last edited by helix139; 10-08-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by helix139
supplier is 6% off MSRP. it's not 6% off a negotiated deal. It really is pretty good pricing. When you use the supplier discount, Audi pays the dealer for around 3% of the 6% discount. loyalty, conquest, etc. can be used in addition to supplier. The rebate to the dealer for giving you supplier pricing is generally not on the table, as it is there to encourage dealers to honor that pricing.
The 6% Supplier Program discount from Audi now reimburses the dealer at only 2% of the amount. (It used to be 3%). And you are correct that it's off of the sticker, not off a discounted price.
I've bought two Audis using this program as my wife works for an approved employer.