S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Protection screen for intercooling radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is and won't be covered since this is due to road debris hitting the intercooling radiator and causing damage. No OEM will warranty things which are beyond their control - running over a nail in the road would be in the same category as this.

APR's race car does see debris - a LOT of it - regularly at every race. They need something, and it needs to be very robust for the amount of crap kicked up from the edge of the track and on the track itself.

I am sure there are ways to do something more robust than I have here, both in terms of debris catching and heat/durability. I encourage anyone serious about this to dig in a little and see what you can do yourself. Thicker meshes with smaller holes are availible, APR used a mesh on the entire inside of the grill rather than up closer to the radiators, since they need maximum protection from loose debris and to keep it far from the radiators in the event that there is a larger piece which perforates their mesh, this will slow it considerably and allow for less to no damage.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed....

might try it out this weekend and see if i can zip-tie the bottom of the screen so the mesh doesn't sit directly on the radiator.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm adding this to my must-do mod list. Thanks for the picture guide NWS4Guy! Do you feel like you need to secure the mesh more? I'd feel better if it was held on by more than friction (or did I miss something?)

Seems like Audi missed the ball on this one. Ugh...
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by orderedanalog
I'm adding this to my must-do mod list. Thanks for the picture guide NWS4Guy! Do you feel like you need to secure the mesh more? I'd feel better if it was held on by more than friction (or did I miss something?)

Seems like Audi missed the ball on this one. Ugh...
Feel free to try out anything you like, I have 18K miles now and have not touched the screen since this install. No rubbing issues or problems with it being loose. I don't even think about it anymore, and I can't say it has helped or saved me the issues others have had with holes in their intercooling/a/c systems - but for the price I can't say it didn't save me either
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm doing this ASAP after seeing this new function: Audi Intercooler Sprayer :P

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ler-looks-like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_95...layer_embedded

FYI, i did see some 1/8" mesh which would've been perfect, but they only sold the 1/8" mesh in 100 foot rolls... So, i got the 1/4" mesh same as the original poster.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
I'm doing this ASAP after seeing this new function: Audi Intercooler Sprayer :P

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ler-looks-like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_95...layer_embedded

FYI, i did see some 1/8" mesh which would've been perfect, but they only sold the 1/8" mesh in 100 foot rolls... So, i got the 1/4" mesh same as the original poster.
I'm doing this as well, ASAP. Rocks are the bane of my existance in Jersey's I-287.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd encourage anyone to read the entire thread both this one and the cross post on Azine, they have some good discussions in the pro's and con's about what size mesh to use and such - PRIOR to choosing the screen or to do this at all.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...oling-radiator
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a pic of the OEM mesh on an Evo VIII just for reference's sake. I think they used the same mesh on the VIII, IX and X models

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think I saw somewhere that some company makes one of these for the B8...am I imagining things?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Pyknosis
I think I saw somewhere that some company makes one of these for the B8...am I imagining things?
No, GMG has one but it's excessively costly, I think about 450?

Quick Reply: DIY: Protection screen for intercooling radiator