S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dyno results - 2010 DSG S4 100 tune, 034 HFC's(junk), miltek non-res, various intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dyno results - 2010 DSG S4 100 tune, 034 HFC's(junk), miltek non-res, various intakes

So I had my car dyno tested on ECS's Mustang Dyno... I had the car tested with the stock intake and strat intake... Unfortunatly, they were out of the APR box so we didn't bother... not happy but what can you do... they tried to get one from APR but I believe they are on backorder... I am buying one either way...

Stock intake:
345WHP 323WTQ
342WHP 331WTQ
343WHP 320WTQ

Strat intake:
341WHP 305WTQ
340WHP 306WTQ

The strat runs were made one after the other... next day runs with the stock intake were made one after the other... Not sure why it lost so much TQ? Stoked to get the car redynoed on Monday with the pulley and software... The pulley went on today but the ecu won't be back until Monday and I will pick up the car Tuesday... Kind of sucks because the weather is going to be very good today for drag racing... Oh well...
Attached Files
Old 06-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol another aftermarket airbox that robs the car of power.

PT...are you seriously going to bother with the APR? The aftermarket intakes for the 4.2 S4s was also shown to do little to nothing (in fact it hurt as it's design allowed it to eat hot air from the engine bay and one of the auxillary radiators)

I'd save the few hundred dollars.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on now Saki, you of all people shouldn't be jumping to a quick judgement. You should go over to Azine and read the 2 threads on the 034 HFC's they are garbage, and rob power in the top end by a good deal. It's not beyond reason that with a higher flowing intake this could exacerbate the HFC issue and rob power over a more constrictive intake.

Let's see more data before making a conclusion.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primetime
So I had my car dyno tested on ECS's Mustang Dyno... I had the car tested with the stock intake and strat intake... Unfortunatly, they were out of the APR box so we didn't bother... not happy but what can you do... they tried to get one from APR but I believe they are on backorder... I am buying one either way...

Stock intake:
345WHP 323WTQ
342WHP 331WTQ
343WHP 320WTQ

Strat intake:
341WHP 305WTQ
340WHP 306WTQ

The strat runs were made one after the other... next day runs with the stock intake were made one after the other... Not sure why it lost so much TQ? Stoked to get the car redynoed on Monday with the pulley and software... The pulley went on today but the ecu won't be back until Monday and I will pick up the car Tuesday... Kind of sucks because the weather is going to be very good today for drag racing... Oh well...

This makes me not want an intake now. What about the gains posted by APR with their tune? The intake apparently adds up to 15awhp.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Come on now Saki, you of all people shouldn't be jumping to a quick judgement. You should go over to Azine and read the 2 threads on the 034 HFC's they are garbage, and rob power in the top end by a good deal. It's not beyond reason that with a higher flowing intake this could exacerbate the HFC issue and rob power over a more constrictive intake.

Let's see more data before making a conclusion.
Neil,
What you just said makes no sense at all. Freer flowing air on the intake side is not going to rob the car of power or down low torque. A poorly designed one that maybe let's heat in, or eliminates audi's brilliant pressurized design might though.

Anyway, for the entertainment of this forum, please explain the following

1. How a 'freer flowing' intake will rob a car of power if there is a bad downpipe/cat design on the exhaust side.

2. What data are you looking for? Here we have an independant dyno from easily the most stand up, experienced guy in the entire b8 subforum.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe you didn't request the Strat "Early Torque" Intake option?

Originally Posted by primetime

Stock intake:
345WHP 323WTQ
342WHP 331WTQ
343WHP 320WTQ

Strat intake:
341WHP 305WTQ
340WHP 306WTQ

LOL Memories!!!! Too easy haha.

Sorry, carry on. Looking forward to more results, especially independent ones.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hal_TT::CBP
LOL Memories!!!! Too easy haha.

Sorry, carry on. Looking forward to more results, especially independent ones.
LOL!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

unless someone wants to explicitly accuse Stratmosphere of falsyfing data, there may be another explanation for the power loss. it seems that the question whether the hood was open or close during the dyno is still unanswerer. i'd say it was close. I remember the Strat guys pointed out that their intake tube gets hot in a manner of seconds when the car is stopped (or is dynoed with hood close... i think that, even with big fans, the temperatures get much higher then real driving)..but, at the same time, when driving, it chills in the same few seconds, and then you can experience the power gains (few, but there they are) you paid for.

i really couldn't care less if the strat intake get hot air from engine bays when the car is stopped.... but if it's a concern, i'd get this :

http://www.thermotec.com/products/14...at-shield.html

seems a cheap mod to ensure more cool air.

p.s. i have nothing to do with Stratmosphere, just wanted to express my opinion

Last edited by Faba4b8; 06-27-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off it's Neal

You are smart enough to understand this without my explaination, but apparently you can't be bothered to go check the thread about this yourself.

Second, as I asked, please go see Ron's own issues on the 034 thread which is shorter but as entertaining as the MTM thread Voltron had. The diameter of the "HFC" is too small, and under chipped cars with high RPM - you know, where the boost normally bleeds off - they start blocking exiting airflow and rob the engine of power.

There is not magical place for air to go, it's a straightforward path. If you are getting more air with a freer flowing intake, there is more to compress, higher amounts of boost, and hence air make it into the cylinders. That exhaust has to go somewhere, so more air sooner will only cause the issues seen with the "HFC's" to show sooner. The sooner the exhaust gas get restricted exiting the engine, it will rob the car of power.

After 034's are off, if Ron runs this same test I'd be willing to bet the power is back with Strat over stock - as Faba4b8 says, John has dyno readings to support this on stock, so as you said yourself above, only applied to the exhaust, explain how a "freer flowing exhaust" (i.e. 034's HFC's) can make less power? Ron already illustrated this in his 1/4 mile and dyno runs over the STOCK cats.

Answer: It's not freer flowing.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Second, as I asked, please go see Ron's own issues on the 034 thread which is shorter but as entertaining as the MTM thread Voltron had. The diameter of the "HFC" is too small, and under chipped cars with high RPM - you know, where the boost normally bleeds off - they start blocking exiting airflow and rob the engine of power.

There is not magical place for air to go, it's a straightforward path. If you are getting more air with a freer flowing intake, there is more to compress, higher amounts of boost, and hence air make it into the cylinders. That exhaust has to go somewhere, so more air sooner will only cause the issues seen with the "HFC's" to show sooner. The sooner the exhaust gas get restricted exiting the engine, it will rob the car of power.

After 034's are off, if Ron runs this same test I'd be willing to bet the power is back with Strat over stock - as Faba4b8 says, John has dyno readings to support this on stock, so as you said yourself above, only applied to the exhaust, explain how a "freer flowing exhaust" (i.e. 034's HFC's) can make less power? Ron already illustrated this in his 1/4 mile and dyno runs over the STOCK cats.

Answer: It's not freer flowing.
Second time you've made no sense.

1. Where does the B8 S4 make peak torque? IIRC it's closer to idle than it is to redline. So why are you talking about a high rpm restriction? Engine speeds aren't going to see the 034 cat being a problem where the S4 makes peak torque (2-4k RPM).

2. The other data we have (primetime's dragracing slips) bear this out...he has no down low problems with the cat AT ALL as is evident by his good launches and first half times. The supposed restriction causes trouble at high rpms...which is again irrelevant to these dyno numbers that show a problem making peak torque at low RPMs.

3. Don't forget that in the two tests Ron had the 034 cats on for both dynos. The only change was the airbox...Audi vs. Strat...so you need to explain why a suposedly freer flowing Strat INTAKE is going to cause a loss of low end torque. The car dyno'd the same peak hp (close enough) with both airboxes in...but lost about 20 WTQ with the strat box.

Telling me to go read a thread on AZ (that I've already read) isn't going to get you out of explaining something you posted that was dead wrong. I asked you to explain so you could show the forum what you know (or don't know)...not for my own edification.

Quick Reply: Dyno results - 2010 DSG S4 100 tune, 034 HFC's(junk), miltek non-res, various intakes