S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Have you experienced A/C odors?
Yes, and I found a permanent solution
5.88%
Yes, and I do not have a permanent solution
11.76%
No
82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

How many people have had A/C odor issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people have had A/C odor issues?

Hi all,

I've been researching the various reports of a/c odors in Audi's, and was wondering how many of you have experienced these problems. Just trying to get a feel for how prevalent this problem is.

If you did have this problem, were you able to find a permanent solution, or just band-aid fixes?

Thanks,

- Ryan
Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rynoguru
Hi all,

I've been researching the various reports of a/c odors in Audi's, and was wondering how many of you have experienced these problems. Just trying to get a feel for how prevalent this problem is.

If you did have this problem, were you able to find a permanent solution, or just band-aid fixes?

Thanks,

- Ryan

I just responded 'no' but then i realized i haven't run the AC yet! Sorry.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, when I turn on the AC, I get this pungent whiff immediately after. There was another thread saying to run your heater on high to dry out the system and eliminate the bacteria. I haven't tried this yet, but it seems logical.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GUYs. This is a common problem with many cars and a simple solution to make it go away and stay away. The smell is from bacteria and mold growing in the moisture of the HVAC system. IF you have the problem, first run the heater on high at the highest temp and fan setting to dry out the system. Then buy a can of Lysol aerosol spray. With the A/c on at full blast, set the HVAC to take in air from the outside of the car. Find the air intake that is usually located near the windshield wipers. Dispense 1/2 of the can into the incoming air intake. That is what your dealer will most likely do if you take it back for service. That should last about a yr or so. Repeat if necessary. Perhaps someone can help me out with the exact location of the fresh air intake on the B8.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also helpful is to turn the A/C off and just let the fan blow for several minutes before you reach your destination. This will help clear out the moisture.

My roommate with a B7 2.0T had this issue too. It is common for all cars with A/C ( so all cars )

Good luck, I know that smell can be unpleasant.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, does this issue seem to be more prevalent on Audi/VW? Or am I just being paranoid? I've had Honda and Toyota for years and never had a problem, but the one person that I know with a VW has this issue.

Admittedly, I am spending more time on Audi forums, but searches seem to turn up more here that others.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My A4 never stank like my S4. Haha
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
My A4 never stank like my S4. Haha
Hmmm... that's not very encouraging!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dman413
Also helpful is to turn the A/C off and just let the fan blow for several minutes before you reach your destination. This will help clear out the moisture.

My roommate with a B7 2.0T had this issue too. It is common for all cars with A/C ( so all cars )

Good luck, I know that smell can be unpleasant.
When the system comes on under Auto, it will have the AC button lit. This lets the compressor kick in if needed. I always turn this off. It's winter, I don't need AC unless very briefly when the windows fog some on colder mornings. Leaving this on can affect fuel economy and engine power, not to mention the condensation from the evaporator core in the blower box drips water. That is why on hot days you see water under a car, and why it works to defog windows - it dehumidifies the air in the car.

This water doesn't always make it's way totally down the drip line to the ground, and as pointed out can make a nice cool, dark place for nasty smelling things to grow in. Don't use the AC button unless needed and this won't really ever be a problem.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This pole is not relevant to the new S4, as much as Audi in general. I doubt any of the new S4's have this problem yet. Misleading to be in the S4 forum for b8's

Quick Reply: How many people have had A/C odor issues?