S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Intake Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a K&N in the stock airbox w/ my homemade intake tube. Contributes to sound. Doubt it makes much/any power.

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
If you can follow up after you get it I'd appreciate it, I've been wondering what a K&N would do in the S4.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've seen and heard (or not heard actually) the AWE intake. If you're looking for a increased airflow without hearing the SC then this is the way to go. A few guys around here already have it. AWE had an open house/dyno day a few weeks back and they were selling them and installing for free. It's a 15 minute install so no big deal.

Me.........I love to hear the WHOOOOOOOSH! That's why I got the Strat.

Last edited by voltrons_head; 10-30-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
I've seen and heard (or not heard actually) the AWE intake. If you're looking for a increased airflow without hearing the SC then this is the way to go. A few guys around here already have it. AWE had an open house/dyno day a few weeks back and they were selling them and installing for free. It's a 15 minute install so no big deal.

Me.........I love to hear the WHOOOOOOOSH! That's why I got the Strat.
Same here. I do like the looks and the sound of the Strat. I just didn't see too many other manufactures out there. I guess I will have to postpone that mod. I just realized that the S4 came with Summer tires. Not really conducive to Mid Atlantic weather for the next few months. Looks like I will be sinking a grand in tires.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE my Strat intake. Nice sound, but not too intrusive on the cabin. Fantastic build quality and definitely a bit better throttle response. Very easy install as well.

Originally Posted by tbconrad
Same here. I do like the looks and the sound of the Strat. I just didn't see too many other manufactures out there. I guess I will have to postpone that mod. I just realized that the S4 came with Summer tires. Not really conducive to Mid Atlantic weather for the next few months. Looks like I will be sinking a grand in tires.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@zerinS4 Does the Strat hook up the the O2 sensor that is hooked to the box?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think there is an O2 sensors on the stock airbox, just a vacuum tube and the breather that get's it's own new filter.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. The breather comes off the bottom of the box and is shown in the picture as the small filter by the shock tower. The only other connection is the nipple (huhhuuhu) for the vacuum on the back side of the pipe near the throttle body.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I don't think there is an O2 sensors on the stock airbox, just a vacuum tube and the breather that get's it's own new filter.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

No sensors, but the stock airbox does have a little motorized flap, ~1.5" diameter, that opens to a rubber tube that runs right over to the block. I assume this flap opens in some circumstances (cold start?) to help heat up the cats more quickly. Or something.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it's motorized as there isn't any power going to the airbox. If anything it's probably opened by vacuum.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wondered about that too - there's definitely no wiring connected to the airbox - but there is a bit of a mechanism attached to an actuator arm on the flap - it has a thin brass cylinder inserted into it - battery of some kind? There's also quite a bit of resistance from a spring holding the flap shut. I was thinking vacuum too, but would there really be that much vacuum created (at full throttle, say) when the other side of the airbox is just open to ambient?

And wouldn't that (vacuum-operated) also mean that this flap only opens at high loads and . . . lets the hottest possible air into the airbox? ie. why does the inlet tube for this flap run right up against the side of the engine (it doesn't have to , there's space to direct it elsewhere, or it could have no tube at all)?

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
I don't think it's motorized as there isn't any power going to the airbox. If anything it's probably opened by vacuum.

Quick Reply: Intake Options