S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

iPod/MMI User Experience driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryVA
On iPod (not SD Card) I have truly experienced random behavior. If in Playlist mode/shuffle, it switches to the earliest alphabetical playlist and starts first song. (Which stinks for me because playlist "1" is songs rated 1/5. I'll be changing that very soon). In other modes, it often goes to whatever the first entity associated with that grouping. Or of course depending on the alignment of the stars it just continues previous song but without shuffle turned on.
Honestly I haven't had any issues resuming songs. (My folders play in what appears to be alphanumeric order unless I'm using a playlist) However I've had issues with the "MIX"/shuffle/random mode. If I'm using "MIX" it will recall the last song played and location, but will not recall that its on "MIX" mode. You have to set it again and you've lost your order once the song is complete.

(My folders play in what appears to be alphanumeric order unless I'm using a playlist)
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawaspen
Hmm, there are two ways to skip to the next song on your Ipod in mix mode or not. One is hit the next button to the right of return button below MMI. That is easy for me. The other way is on the left wheel on steering wheel. Press the thumb wheel once or twice until you see the songs on your Ipod and you can scroll down to play either the next song or even a bunch of songs down the mix list.
You can definitely skip to the next track via the steering wheel control, but if you're in MIX mode the steering wheel control will just choose the next track in sequence depending on what mode you're in (track, album, artist). You can't skip to the next randomized track in MIX mode using the steering wheel--only the console control.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, my stereo will skip to the next track in the random mix and will also show me all the queued songs in the random mix allowing me to wheel down to whatever I want.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can skip to the next random song using the scroll wheel on the steering wheel? How? When I switch the mode to media on the dashboard, I can scroll up and down in whatever music mode I'm in (tracks, albums, etc). I'm in track mode so that I can mix everything, so I see the tracks in alphabetical order and could choose a song from the steering wheel but then it isn't random. I'll have to play with this some more, or maybe we have different MMI versions.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nosara
Someone please help: My gripe is with scrolling. I have over 1000 artists in my iPod, and i can not for the life of me find a way to quickly scroll through artists (like by letter). In order to scroll to the Zs, it takes me like over a minute (of rather dangerous inattentive driving).
On my 08 A6 (MMI gen 2 or whatever) if you are scrolling through the long list and spin the scroll wheel quickly it will jump to a fast scroll mode where you get a vertical scroll bar instead of a text list and can scan through the list much more quickly. The only trick is there's no letter or visual feedback given so you have to guess where in the list you want to land. So it's of minor value but it still helps.
Dave
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
You can skip to the next random song using the scroll wheel on the steering wheel? How? When I switch the mode to media on the dashboard, I can scroll up and down in whatever music mode I'm in (tracks, albums, etc). I'm in track mode so that I can mix everything, so I see the tracks in alphabetical order and could choose a song from the steering wheel but then it isn't random. I'll have to play with this some more, or maybe we have different MMI versions.
yeah, my experience is just like zulujams...curious how @lawspen is able to do it...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

The easiest way to do it is - while mix is selected on the MMI on the Ipod and what you are mixing is songs, not albums or artists - press the scroll wheel I think twice and the dash will list out the songs that are on queue, you can then wheel down or back up to select a specific song. The only issue I have is with it selecting out of mix when the car sits powered off for more than 15 minutes. Dumb issue, along with the issue that if you select Individual on the SD it should stay there until switched off. Audi needs to hire some 17 year old nerd from Palo Alto to help them with these simple user friendly settings.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, I'll try clicking the scroll wheel twice. Clicking once just starts whatever is highlighted (or re-starts if you're on the current track).

I confirmed what Dave posted earlier--you can use the console **** to scroll quickly toward the top or bottom of the list, but as he stated you don't see the alphabet or anthing like that to guide you in (like an iphone contact list).

Side note for anyone using the jukebox--this is obvious most likely, but get a dedicated SD card for uploads. After uploading, wipe the card clean and put your new material on and upload again when ready by just selecting 'all' to upload from that card. I was trying to use a card with other stuff on it for my wife and it was a pain to keep drilling into each subfolder to check off what I wanted to upload. I tried selecting 'all' on a card that already had some tracks on the jukebox and it uploaded duplicates.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DaveCarr
On my 08 A6 (MMI gen 2 or whatever) if you are scrolling through the long list and spin the scroll wheel quickly it will jump to a fast scroll mode where you get a vertical scroll bar instead of a text list and can scan through the list much more quickly. The only trick is there's no letter or visual feedback given so you have to guess where in the list you want to land. So it's of minor value but it still helps.
Dave
PS just to be clear here I am talking about the console **** not the one on the steering wheel.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaveCarr
PS just to be clear here I am talking about the console **** not the one on the steering wheel.
Correct--spinning the console **** quickly will move through a listing faster. Thanks Dave.

Quick Reply: iPod/MMI User Experience driving me nuts