S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

iPod/MMI User Experience driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this tip! I had a hard time figuring out how to mix all tracks (instead of those in a folder).

Originally Posted by Lawaspen
The easiest way to do it is - while mix is selected on the MMI on the Ipod and what you are mixing is songs, not albums or artists - press the scroll wheel I think twice and the dash will list out the songs that are on queue, you can then wheel down or back up to select a specific song. The only issue I have is with it selecting out of mix when the car sits powered off for more than 15 minutes. Dumb issue, along with the issue that if you select Individual on the SD it should stay there until switched off. Audi needs to hire some 17 year old nerd from Palo Alto to help them with these simple user friendly settings.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TO407S4
Honestly I haven't had any issues resuming songs. (My folders play in what appears to be alphanumeric order unless I'm using a playlist) However I've had issues with the "MIX"/shuffle/random mode. If I'm using "MIX" it will recall the last song played and location, but will not recall that its on "MIX" mode. You have to set it again and you've lost your order once the song is complete.

(My folders play in what appears to be alphanumeric order unless I'm using a playlist)
Another.quirk is the NAV button. When I press it I want to go straight to the map, but instead it goes to destination entry. This is on a cold start only, once you on your way, All presses of NAV take you to map if thats where you left off... Frustrating.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way to do it is - while mix is selected on the MMI on the Ipod and what you are mixing is songs, not albums or artists - press the scroll wheel I think twice and the dash will list out the songs that are on queue, you can then wheel down or back up to select a specific song. The only issue I have is with it selecting out of mix when the car sits powered off for more than 15 minutes. Dumb issue, along with the issue that if you select Individual on the SD it should stay there until switched off. Audi needs to hire some 17 year old nerd from Palo Alto to help them with these simple user friendly settings.
I've tried this a number of times when mixing the tracks on the jukebox, but double-clicking the scroll wheel on the steering wheel just keeps re-starting the current track. Maybe the double-click only works for mixing tracks on an ipod. The DIS keeps showing the alphabetical list. Not that big of a deal--I just use the 'next' button on the console.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure you are pressing the left scroll wheel.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you are pressing the left scroll wheel.
Yep, single tap, double tap, both just restart the track. Even if my DIS is showing something else, pressing the left scroll wheel brings up the song list in alpha order when in MIX mode. I have a 2010 so maybe my version of MMI is older, or there are differences between jukebox, SD, and iPod sources.

Edit: it is definitely the source. I plugged in an ipod and the left scroll wheel definitely lets you see and switch to upcoming MIX tracks. SD cards and the jukebox don't allow this, and they don't have a 'tracks' folder the way I set them up (drag and drop tracks or whole folders from iTunes source folders). iPods make playlists very easy too. I've had fun playing with the Jukebox and SD cards but maybe I'll keep an iPod in the car more often too. They all have their pros and cons.

Last edited by zulujams; 03-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

While we are on the subject of the iPod interface, does anyone have the year of the song show up. I get Album, Artist, and Track Name but the year field is always blank. Thoughts?