S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Live in NY, Buying in NJ (...this week!) - DMV Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live in NY, Buying in NJ (...this week!) - DMV Question

Just found out my S4 is hitting the dealer's lot this week! I'm trying to figure out the DMV stuff in regards to me living in NY but crossing state lines to buy in NJ. I asked my SA and he said 'they take care of everything' and that I'll get the temp. tags.

My question to any of you who have more experience with this stuff or who have been in this out-of-state situation: where do I get the real license plates? Do they get mailed to me? Or do I pick them up at the local DMV office? I'm a new New Yorker, so I'm not sure and the NY DMV website is a a huge headache to try and decipher.

And for you New Yorkers, is any inspection going to be required?

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in philly and purchased a car in Charlotte NC a few years ago my 2003 anniversary edition gti. What you need to do is you dont pay sales tax on the vehicle in the state you buy it in. You purchase the car then goto a fast tags and do everything there. They get you a plate. Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car in Denver Colorado but I plated it in Texas. I just called the dmv in Texas gave them all the figures and they gave me a number. The dealer in Denver rolled it into the price cut the Texas dmv a check. In about 2 weeks the Texas dmv called me and told me to come pick up my plates. Very easy. I do it all the time.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aj25
Just found out my S4 is hitting the dealer's lot this week! I'm trying to figure out the DMV stuff in regards to me living in NY but crossing state lines to buy in NJ. I asked my SA and he said 'they take care of everything' and that I'll get the temp. tags.

My question to any of you who have more experience with this stuff or who have been in this out-of-state situation: where do I get the real license plates? Do they get mailed to me? Or do I pick them up at the local DMV office? I'm a new New Yorker, so I'm not sure and the NY DMV website is a a huge headache to try and decipher.

Thanks!!
Your dealer in NJ will process the application for registration for tags with the NYSDMV. The tags will be sent directly to them. They will either mail you the tags or you can go and pick them up.

Alternatively, you can re-use your current NYS tags if you are trading in your car and they can process that way. That's the way I did it when I bought my last car in NJ and registered in NY. That way no temp tags. I think I had a temporary registration sticker that was mailed to me, but honestly I forget if it was direct from the DMV or by the dealer.

Either way, no trip is required to the NYSDMV.

I think when I last went, I needed to get the car inspected in NY. I don't think I had an exception, but this was going on 8 years ago now so I could be remembering incorrectly or it could have changed. I bought an out of state car in 2007 but that was from MA and I had to do all the work myself.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I bought an out of state car in 2007 but that was from MA and I had to do all the work myself.
I should add that this was also a NY registration as well. The dealer didn't do NY registrations since they were from Boston and unfamiliar with the process.

Just wanted to avoid confusion since my location in my profile is now VA.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!!
I bought mine in PA and the dealer processed the plates and registration and mailed them to me (2 week turnover). I do have to get the car inspected once I put the plates on - which I plan to do over the weekend.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in a similar situation, bought mine in NJ and live in PA. The dealer took care of evrything for me with respect to transferring the title from my old car to the new.

I'm currently on the 20 day non-resident sticker but should have my new registration sometime next week. As soon as I receive it I'll just put my old plates on the car and take it to get inspected. My dealer said they will reimburse me the inspection costs after I send them the receipt.

HTH.

Chris
Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by csauer52
I'm in a similar situation, bought mine in NJ and live in PA. The dealer took care of evrything for me with respect to transferring the title from my old car to the new.

I'm currently on the 20 day non-resident sticker but should have my new registration sometime next week. As soon as I receive it I'll just put my old plates on the car and take it to get inspected. My dealer said they will reimburse me the inspection costs after I send them the receipt.

HTH.

Chris
^ Exactly what I ended up getting. 20 day non-resident sticker, with plates and registration in the mail.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ Exactly what I ended up getting. 20 day non-resident sticker, with plates and registration in the mail.
I bought my first new car in Delaware, but registered it in NY since that where I was a resident. I had a 30-day non-resident temp plate that I had to have renewed twice! Apparently the dealer wasn't too good in dealing with the NYSDMV. But eventually I got it.