S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

M3 vs S4/S5

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wanted an M3 since I was a kid. When I was finally able to afford an M3 I could not get one as we were expecting my daughter and needed something more utilitarian. As a compromise I bought the 2007 AT X3. That is when my nightmare began. The transmission was bad. Had BMW simply said we understand there is a problem, and we will do everything in our power to make it right I would have been happy. They did not. They first blamed my driving, then the gas I used, and at one point stated it was the stereo I installed (Really? Your electronics are that fragile as to impact the shift points, hogwash). Any way after a year of documenting, collecting affadavits from hundreds of other X3 drivers, and a near fatal crash caused by the tranny and caught on video by a police cam) they finally gave in and I got a 2008 MT x3. Since then there have been some minor issues that they made into major battles. I have been on this website for over a year and very rarely do I see Audi USA or their dealers doing anything like BMWNA and their dealers pulled on me. So come November I will be placing an order for an S4. Moral of the story: buying a BMW can be like dating a high maintenance gal that puts out on occasion. me I'd rather have the pretty librarian in glasses that puts out all the time and doesnt need a whole lot of attention.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by primetime
RS5, E9e9, 1LW, N75... Just saying...

I have no idea what that means.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ufnv
Oh great...an ASP tune. I don't think I would let AutoSpeed wash my car, let alone tune it.

Has anyone EVER seen an advertiser banned from a major forum??? lol I don't mean 'they didn't renew so they left. I mean BANNED.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/members/mark%40autospeed-93546/

you should be careful who you post up info about...you might be leading someone into trouble, unwittingly

Last edited by sakimano; 05-29-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Banned

2013 S4/S5 are NOT tune-able! This together with significantly lowered redline makes them much slower than M3. Really in 335 or G37 class performance-wise.

So, until some tuner release a flash for 2013 (hopefully it is possible), S4 cannot be compared to M3 if speed means something for you.
The car's maxout top end stock performance isn't the only factor going into the decision
Also, who cares about flashing/not flashing the car? It's not mandatory to flash it to enjoy it. All of the M3/S4/S5 are excellent performers when stock. The M3 should have an edge, but who knows.

When you look at the performance of what RWD big power cars like the M3 SHOULD do and what they ACTUALLY do in most situations, those numbers don't always add up.

Here...my bone stock 2008 RS4, full interior, full weight, stock everything. vs. C63 bone stock everything also. He has me by 30 hp and 50 tq. He also has an automatic trans. Pro drivers run that car 12.3-12.5 @ 113-114 mph. My RS4 should be dead right?

Nope. We went twice just to make sure. Beat him by a long way each time. There was an M3 there too (E93) and he was only marginally better than the C63...and still a buslength behind me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhG...e_gdata_player

Last edited by sakimano; 05-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
M3 is the better car. Get the M3 if you live south of the mason dixon line.

If not, get the S4/5.

Simple enough.
Not that simple actually.

They are completely different cars, NA V8 vs. Force Induction V6.

Just about every aspect of the two cars are different including the huge price difference, I don't even know why people are comparing them .
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

2013 S4/S5 are NOT tune-able! This together with significantly lowered redline makes them much slower than M3. Really in 335 or G37 class performance-wise.
Why is S4 / S5 2013 not tune-able? Care to back up with evidence?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinHee
Why is S4 / S5 2013 not tune-able? Care to back up with evidence?
well, technically they're not since they just came out, but i'm sure that will change once the tuners get their 2013's delivered. poster you quoted is just an idiot.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just about every aspect of the two cars are different including the huge price difference, I don't even know why people are comparing them .
Because they're comparable in price, yearly running costs, and are tuned to enthusiasts...?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

they're targeted at about the same audience

M3 and S5 is priced comparably

in fact M3 stripped down to bare essentials, with euro delivery, comes in at about 54k

they're also comparable performance, at least until you hit over 100 mph, which won't matter if it's your daily driver.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by waffles
they're targeted at about the same audience

M3 and S5 is priced comparably

in fact M3 stripped down to bare essentials, with euro delivery, comes in at about 54k

they're also comparable performance, at least until you hit over 100 mph, which won't matter if it's your daily driver.
I thought the m3 had a $60K base sticker in the USA. Anyway, one thing I discovered with BMW awhile back is they lure you in with stripped priicing and then they begin to nickle and dime you, even on the paint job. AUDI does it to some extent but BMW has perfected the nickle/diming methodology

Reality is noone buys a stripped M3. M3 is a fantastic car but most owners are easily into the mid 70's by the time they build their M3.

BMW is still light years behind on interior design too. Ya pay that kind of coin for a car, atleast lets see something decent on the inside. The M6 base is $108K and you still get a vanilla interior

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-30-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: M3 vs S4/S5